Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Netflix added to my account without authorisation

Hi there,

I had an email today from VM stating that they received notification from Netflix that I wish to pay my monthly subscription fee via my Virgin Media bill.

I don't have a TiVo box, only broadband and landline.

I already have a netflix account direct with netflix and checking that account it's still a direct account with nextflix, nothing to do with VM.

I've changed my VM account password.

I'd like to know how to get this request cancelled at it is not authorised by myself as the account holder.

Before you say talk to Netflix please confirm what i'm meant to tell them to look up as clearly as i didn't request this netflix account i'm not going to know the details.

As VM have accepted the request i expect them to be able to cancel it via the same mechanism.

Really none of us need this right now, i'v been on hold for an hour but thought i'd try the forum.

thanks

Neil

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Netflix added to my account without authorisation

Got through to help centre and as expected they pointed me to netflix.  I don't have any credentials to give netflix as i didn't setup the account.

Apparently i get a one time good will gesture to refund the charge this month.

There is clearly a flaw in the system if someone can charge a netflix bill to my account without any authorisation from the bill owner.

I do have a work order receipt :  - 0200 473 046 1401

This seems to be the only piece of evidence, can that be looked up to see if there are any details behind it?

thanks

Neil

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Spoke to Netflix, as expected they need an account ID to search against to stop it.  As i didn't setup the netflix account or connect it to my Virgin Media account i have no details.

As Virgin are the one's who want to bill me for something i a) didn't ask for, b) am not receiving and c) have told you is fraudulent and want it stopped.  I'm looking to Virgin to cancel this charge and subscription to netflix.

Can anyone help please?

thanks

Neil

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi jetpac999,

Thanks for your post and reaching out to us at the Community Forums, Sorry to hear of this billing error. Having a look at our records, it appears that you have already been in touch with us and this has been addressed. Can you confirm?

Cheers,

Corey 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Corey,

Thanks for getting back to me, no it's not been addressed at all.  I was told to call Netflix which i have done.  Details are in the posts above.

I need VM to cancel this netflix subscription which i did not signup for or authorise but VM want to bill me for.

Can you help?

Neil

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi jetpac999,

For this you would need to contact Netflix directly in order to discuss the charges, as we are unable to cancel Netflix billing from this end.

Please take a look at this link for further information on what Netflix can do in regards to this.

I'd also advise that you reset your My Virgin Media password to something new and unique which has not been used before. You can change your password here. Head over to 'My Profile' > change password.

Regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Beth,

1. I have contacted Netflix who told me to talk to you, please see the thread above.  You accepted the billing request from netflix, but you can't tell me the name of the netflix account that has requested to be billed via my Virgin Account.  As i didn't request this i don't have any details that netflix can look up to cancel.  Therefore as you accepted this request you either need to tell me the name of the netflix account requesting billing via my account or cancel it.

2. That link doesn't help me because i don't have any credentials to give netflix to cancel.  All i know is that Virgin media are asking me to pay for a netflix account i didn't authorise or setup.  As mentioned i don't even have a STB with VM.  If you can tell me the name of the netflix account i can cancel it.

3. If you read my first post you will see that i've reset my account password.

To re-iterate.

- Virgin Media have sent me notification that they have received notification that i want a netflix account billed to my Virgin Media account.

- I did not set this up or authorise this and have indicated that this is fraudulent activity.

- Your response is for me to call netflix (which i have done) but they cannot help without the netflix account details i want to disable.  You seem unable to provide this but are happy to bill me for it!

I'm not sure i can be any clearer?

At the moment from what i can see there is a way that someone has found to attribute netflix accounts to other peoples Virgin Accounts without any authentication on Virgin's side to determine if this is valid activity or not.  Even if the targeted user then tells you it's fraudulent activity you cannot verify and want to blindly bill.  This is not right and needs to be escalated.

My hunch is that it's a problem with the STB API's calling netflix.  Historically i had a STB from VM, my belief is that it's been recycled and that a user has signed up to netflix and somehow the netflix signup/ STB ID is still attributed to my billing account.  Something like that is happening but it needs to be looked into.  

It's pretty crazy you can't even tell me the netflix account ID that you want to bill me for.  That isn't right.

Please help or direct me to someone that can, Lutz? 😉

Neil

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Okay, apologies again for this, as I can appreciate you feeling like you're going round in circles.

I'll pop you over a PM so I can take a look into this in more detail for you.

Beth

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Did anything happen with this? Because there are quite a few of us noticing we have the same problem and still being told the same incorrect information to contact Netflix.

I'm aware that VM have had internal comms about this but management don't seem to have any idea what they're doing.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@jetpac999. This sounds similar to something that used to happen when it was NTL. There was a way to fraudulently get On Demand programs for free by faking the MAC address (I think) of an existing account. Management in the call centre refused to accept this was real and would refuse to remove the charges despite instructions and cloned MAC addresses being available all over the internet. It looks like there's still serious security concerns in their systems.