Menu
Reply
  • 1
  • 0
  • 0
jwalakhan
Joining in
338 Views
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Negotiating package price

I was paying £41.98 a month for 150mb. I recently got an email saying that from September they'll be increasing that to £45.48. I've always just paid whatever in the past because I couldn't be bothered to deal with haggling with customer services or being on hold for ages, but this increase of 9% is ridiculous.

I called them earlier and said I wanted to cancel. I said it's too expensive, then the guy went away a couple of times and came back with £38, and then when I refused that, finally offered £33. I didn't ask how much 50mb or 100mb would cost because I forgot, and he didn't bring it up either.

I've read that they'll likely call me in about 48 hours with a new deal. My question is: should I take that new deal (if they call) or would it be a good strategy to tell them no thanks and then call them again myself closer to the end of the 30 days' notice? What kind of price would they be coming back with and how much would they realistically budge on it? I'd probably be happy with £28.

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 1.81K
  • 277
  • 313
arrgee1991
Super solver
314 Views
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Negotiating package price


@jwalakhan wrote:

I was paying £41.98 a month for 150mb. I recently got an email saying that from September they'll be increasing that to £45.48. I've always just paid whatever in the past because I couldn't be bothered to deal with haggling with customer services or being on hold for ages, but this increase of 9% is ridiculous.

I called them earlier and said I wanted to cancel. I said it's too expensive, then the guy went away a couple of times and came back with £38, and then when I refused that, finally offered £33. I didn't ask how much 50mb or 100mb would cost because I forgot, and he didn't bring it up either.

I've read that they'll likely call me in about 48 hours with a new deal. My question is: should I take that new deal (if they call) or would it be a good strategy to tell them no thanks and then call them again myself closer to the end of the 30 days' notice? What kind of price would they be coming back with and how much would they realistically budge on it? I'd probably be happy with £28.

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]


£33/month sounds OK as £30/month is best a new customer gets for 12 months for broadband only with £35 set up fee. You might want to try at end of notice period, but not sure it will get down to £28/month.

But how do you get 150mb? I suspect that it will change to 50/100/200 with new deal.

0 Kudos
Reply
  • 2
  • 0
  • 0
jamiew79
Joining in
309 Views
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Negotiating package price

I was paying £38.24 for 100mb and they were about to put it up to £41.74, but after a phone call to them saying that was too expensive, they offered me six months at around £14, then twelve months at around £18, so sounds like they can definitely do better than that!

0 Kudos
Reply