Menu
MrHalfAsleep
Trouble shooter
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

My mother is terminally ill, she holds the account (assistance required please)

This is a difficult post for me to make.  I am now down to hours (possibly minutes; at the time of writing she may have already passed on) and every day we get through is a bonus.  Since I manage the account on her behalf and I use the email provided for my own use, I have become reliant on it for a lot of things as are the rest of the family, for internet and telephone.  I have been rather busy making her as comfortable as I can, and haven't really had time to sort things out that I need to.  The best case scenario is also paradoxically the worst case scenario.

Anyway, I would like to keep the services provided as they are now critical to continuing the palliative care (MacMillan/District Nurses/Ambulance etc) she is receiving and after she has passed on.   The other family members aren't handling the situation to well and it's basically down to me to sort things out.  Since I am unsure how to proceed, any help or advice would be much appreciated.

If the account is cancelled, MrHalfAsleep will finally doze off (as mentioned elsewhere) and also pass on into relative anonymity.  Thanks in advance.

--
The only winning move is not to play.
No system is 100% secure
Ridicule is nothing to be scared of - Adam Ant
The only thing constant - is change. Chris Evans
The internet is a series of tubes
Windows Update isn't rocket science - if it were, it would work.
Unlike Monty Python, spam is never off.
Some video posts may contain swearing/inappropriate content for young children

π
0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: My mother is terminally ill, she holds the account (assistance required please)

I am so sorry to hear this MrHalfAsleep, 

I would advise contacting our bereavement team as they all help families with terminally ill family members, you can call them or submit a form here. If you need any further help or have questions please let us know 

thanks

Zoie

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: My mother is terminally ill, she holds the account (assistance required please)

Thanks for the reply.  The district nurse was round earlier and we discussed my mother's needs etc.  During the conversation it was mentioned that she is seriously ill, but it's not quite as bad as I thought she was and that last night was just really bad.  I'm told that she isn't down to days and hours (I tend to expect the worst and hope for the best) as I thought she was, but it is a matter of months and weeks instead.  I was hit with a proper double whammy as my sister had food poisoning.  November has been quite a month so far.  Thanks again.

--
No system is 100% secure

π
0 Kudos
Rachael_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I'm really pleased to hear that your mother is doing better than anticipated, although it does still sound like an awful situation to be in. The advice given by Zoie would still apply when the time comes to transfer the account. You're welcome to give them a call to discuss your options whenever it's convenient for you.

Please don't hesitate to reach out to us if you have any further queries or concerns. We'll be here to support as far as we're able.

Take care,

Rachael

0 Kudos
MrHalfAsleep
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

My mother has since passed on.  She died back in January and now the solicitors are in touch regarding the will and her estate.  At the time it was my understanding that the solicitors would pay the bills.  However, the time has now come that they need to close my mother's bank account and they have been in touch with VM and the direct debit has been cancelled.  I wish to keep the services I have currently to keep in touch with family. I am trying to organise some "financial rearrangement" (nothing illegal!) but this is taking longer than I thought.  I would like to put the bill in my name, but since the solicitors were handling that, I noticed that their address was on the bill instead.  They have now passed it on to me advising that I need to pay it as soon as possible.

I tried to pay online but have forgotten the password I used to set up and manage the account on her behalf.  I also tried to pay over the phone and that didn't work out either.  All bills are now in limbo, but I can and intend to pay for the services in my mother's name.

--
No system is 100% secure

π
0 Kudos
HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@MrHalfAsleep 

As a regular reader of your posts and as simply another Forum user many sincere condolences to you and your family on your loss.

It's funny how things work out and how you might have done things differently with hindsight. An account transfer while your mother was alive would have been possible and would have been simpler than the situation you now find yourself in. 

Fortunately a similar arrangements is still possible if you want to take over the account, bereavement now being the only circumstances in which VM allow this. I do hope that the innocent involvement of the solicitors hasn't put an obstacle in the way by cancelling the direct debit. I'm sure the Forum Team can get this sorted out though. 

You deserve for this issue not to wait for its turn in the queue. So I have escalated it to the VM team here so they get to it quicker. In the meantime read this. You may need it quickly:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/account-holder-has-died

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi MrHalfAsleep,

I'm truly sorry to hear of your mums passing. I've seen you mention mum in previous posts. one could read the love, caring and bond held between you.

There's no words I can say to make things any easier, and I hope you'll soon feel uplifted.

If you ever want to chat, or let of steam on an informal basis then feel free to message me.

Take care and stay safe.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post

MrHalfAsleep
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I may (by may I mean will) doxx myself with this, but here goes:

VM have cancelled the Direct Debit as of 2nd March according to the solicitors.

She deteriorated very quickly in a matter of days from December into January and was still trying to sort things out even though she was no longer lucid.  (I was with her when she passed), and then I was hit with the funeral arrangements (delays due COVID); before that a very intensive medical regime which left me doing 24 hour palliative care (along with a small army of carers/district nurses; I'm still having problems dealing with the effects of this), so I didn't actually have any time to sort things out.

There have been difficulties with the will and things (due to household/working arrangements) have proved to be a bit more difficult than I had anticipated.   As long as I get paper bill addressed to myself (which is what I have) the bill can and will be paid (along with any future bills in the mid-term), as per advice from the solicitors.  All I ask is for a bit of leeway whilst I try to sort things out.

--
No system is 100% secure

π
0 Kudos
Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi @MrHalfAsleep

I'm so sorry to hear about this and condolences to your family, i'm going to drop you a private message now to have a look into this and to get this sorted for you, please check your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi @MrHalfAsleep

The system won't let me send you a private message, could you please double check your settings to see if you've disabled private messaging?

Regards,

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos