cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My landline keeps being switched off so I want to cancel my landline.

MavisJ
Tuning in

For months and months and months no word of a lie my landline keeps going off. Every time I've wasted hours of my life getting nowhere with talking to timbuktoo and never ever even a tiny refund. This year its gone off for weeks at a time. Getting to a UK person is impossible. I cant keep waiting online for hours. Last week whatsapp had me on convo and then they went  and in the morning they simply opened the chat  again like I'd been sat there all night. I then had another silly hour with a person who used all the VM words and promised it would be back on, one week later still no phone. I want to stop the line now as I'm paying for nothing but how the hell do I get a UK human to stop it. I don't want to say those words to a person in timbuctoo incase they cancel my whole package. VM used to have great UK people we could talk to and discuss packages with. I've been a customer since they took over Yorkshire Cable but clearly nobody matters now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You have ended up with a very unusual outcome here as you will now be paying a high out-of-minimum-term package price which includes an amount of money for a landline service that you don't have access to, if I have understood your description correctly.

What services do you take from VM at the moment and which services would you like to use in the future?

If you are no longer in a minimum term with VM, would you not be better looking around to switch somewhere else to a new provider? You would get new customer pricing elsewhere and also be rid of VM at the same time.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

16 REPLIES 16

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello MavisJ.

Thanks for your first post and welcome to our Community.
Sorry to hear you are having an issue with  your landline.

Also from here we are unable to disconnect services, But we can take a look at getting them fixed, I did notice that you are still on the old telephone network though a socket.

I can arrange for the line to be upgraded to our Fibre service if you like. It's all detailed here 
I'd like to take a look into this for you, if you did wish to go ahead with it.
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security. 
If you can check the Logo top right of your screen that would be great. 
Regards     
Gareth_L

MavisJ
Tuning in

So I posted on here for the 1st time. I have broadband landline and TV. Been with Virgin for decades.

Virgin have left me without a landline for weeks and weeks on end. Presently 3 weeks. It’s gone on all year.

So customer services here say if they remove my NON working landline from my package it will cost me a lot MORE! 

Our mobiles now do the job of our landline and it’s no use now as we had to find ways around it.

They tried to loop me into an 18 month contract ( I think I’m out of contract now.) By quoting a silly low price and demanding to make my house fibre and in the process make me move a whole lot of stuff in our office to have a flipping fibre phone. 

I need complaints to contact me as in no world should it cost more to remove a NON working landline payment from my bill.

Hello MavisJ.

Thanks for your post.

As discussed over a Private message today, I have raised a complaint for you and will escalate this to my manager for a call to discuss the options available.

The offers were there to help you carry on with a cheaper package and an improved service to fix the ongoing landline fault.

I am sorry that we were not able to reach a resolution.

Please leave this with me.

Regards 

Gareth_L

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM are offering to remedy your landline fault for you.

They operate a multi-bundle discounting scheme whereby adding additional services reduces the per-unit price for each service.. conversely removing services can increase the individual costs. Landlines in particular attract generous discounts and it can often be cheaper to have one than not.

If you choose to disconnect your landline, then you have to accept that the cost of your remaining services may well increase. If the landline is not working, and you have now reported that, they are offering to remedy that fault.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Roger_Gooner
Alessandro Volta

Everyone with a phone connected to a wall socket, i.e. most of us, are being migrated to a phone connected to a hub. Take the early migration on offer as it won't cost you and you may find it more reliable than what you've got now.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection

I have been a customer so long I have no clue what they operate frankly. I don't think I'm even in a contract now. My present payment was set up in the days where a lovely UK person was available on the phone to talk to. I was totally happy with my arrangement until they started switching off my landline. Ive learnt through reading its to do with fibre but Virgin have not written or emailed to say this. I've had no communication about it. I innocently reported the outage hundreds of times each time being told it was an outage. Not once have I had a penny refund for loss of service. We've been without so long now we don't want it any more, so it was logical to to ask to remove it from a bill since it does nothing. I'm not getting looped into a contract I'll stay as I am now.

Yes I've learnt that and had virgin bothered to make contact by email or letter to this effect I'd have accepted the install but I've had nothing. Plus since its been off most of the year we've learnt to live without it. To be told i need to pay more to get it removed from my bill when its useless anyway is stupid. They offered a really low price if I agreed the upgrade BUT in an 18 month contract. Im not in a contract now and dont want to be given their track record.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You have ended up with a very unusual outcome here as you will now be paying a high out-of-minimum-term package price which includes an amount of money for a landline service that you don't have access to, if I have understood your description correctly.

What services do you take from VM at the moment and which services would you like to use in the future?

If you are no longer in a minimum term with VM, would you not be better looking around to switch somewhere else to a new provider? You would get new customer pricing elsewhere and also be rid of VM at the same time.

We have broadband, landline (haha) and the lowest TV package. Its £69 a month so I wasn't unhappy with that.

The principle is what's wrong, I made contact in innocence assuming my landline had an outage and every time i was assured this was the case and it would be fixed and by magic it was back on. I have never had a penny back for outage. I now realise VM were turning it off, in relation to fibre but they have not made official contact about fibre.

So after spending at least the last month without a landline we decided our mobiles were sufficient and I simply asked it be removed from my bill as it didn't work anyway. Then I got embroiled in this silly carry on of wanting more money to remove a service that didn't work. I assume we've been out of contract a long time as we were quite content and our only issue was the landline going off, hence why we made alternative arrangements.

Its a wicked system as we are pensioners one with a disability and they didn't know we had mobiles they just left us without a service we are paying for. 

Going forward I'd just want TV and broadband but honestly cant face moving elsewhere as its so much hassle and we aren't having issues with TV or Broadband. We will no doubt just carry on as we are paying for a dead line rather than be tied to a contract.