Menu
Highlighted
Settling in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Moving out and transferring the account to flatmate

Hi all,

Hope you are safe and well.

I need to move out from my current flat due to safety reasons beyond my control and I would like to transfer my VM account to my current flatmate or the new person who is going to live in my place. As per the contract, the person that I am to transfer the account to has to be living with me for at least 6 months, which is not the case with me, unfortunately. We already newly installed the broadband and cannot afford to cancel it, pay the penalty and then newly install a new one. I tried to contact the customer care line but the house moving department is not accepting calls due to Covid19-related safety reasons.

Can you please guide me in this situation?

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Moving out and transferring the account to flatmate

You've answered your own question. VM will not allow a transfer of responsibility in the circumstances you describe. Your only choice is to cancel. You may be able to argue for a remission of the early cancellation fee, if your circumstances are truly exceptional. Don't be tempted to leave without cancelling properly. VM will get your credit record marked and that'll be you done for credit for the next six years. They'll also employ debt collectors to recover your obligations under the contract you signed.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

i was not aware of the 6 month rule - if that is the case can you not leave things as they are and let the other person pay the bill for a while - that may have to be to you and you then pay VM - a great deal depends on your on going relationship with the other person

Tony
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Rules here, including the six month rule;

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-account-change-name

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped