cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving in-contract - package price changed without my consent - mis-selling extraordinaire!!

foc
Tuning in

I'm 12 months into a 18m contract and am moving, to a new place that's also served by Virgin Broadband, so today I followed the Virgin Media website advice to chat about arranging the move. Getting a move date was fine, but then I entered an awful conversation where the operator kept trying to upsell services I don't need (I just want broadband connection at the same speed I have now - there is no availability problem at my new address) and I repeatedly said, no, I just want the same package at my new address, no new deal.  I finally after 73 MINUTES got the operator to agree that  I would not take out a new contract (nothing was offered that was at all market comparable) but keep my existing contract until it runs out. LUCKILY I took screenshots of the chat...and I find that what I was offered was an additional £7 a month PLUS the £20 moving fee. 

Your website clearly states that moving incurs a £20 fee but existing contracts can be transferred.  This is exactly what I asked for, was repeatedly ignored and pressured to take other deals and finally was not given. This is clearly  unethical and almost certainly illegal.  Virgin, can you fix, please?  I have submitted a complaint but that apparently will take up to 28 days...I can supply screenshots of the chat call this afternoon and copy of contract.

Many thanks for any help in resolving this swiftly...and making sure it does not happen to anyone else!  I have held broadband contacts with Vodaphone and BT without anything like this happening. Hopefully this is an isolated mistake that can be resolved swiftly. Help appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VMUser1812
Fibre optic

Alas, no, not an isolated mistake as you will discover should you want to browse these forums, where you will discover that this very issue is oft repeated!

Firstly, the logic here is that, yes, moving house does setup a new account - technically and legally the contract is to supply a service to a particular address, not to a person. So a new account is setup which automatically triggers a new 18 month minimum period - but, this is supposed to be adjusted to reflect the terms of your old account. Unfortunately, based on what has been reported on here, it does seem that rather than being an automated process, it requires a degree of manual intervention by 'a manager' - oddly enough, this doesn't always seem to be done!

Now a cynical person might well think that this is a deliberate attempt to 'accidentally' lock people into a new contract in the hope that they won't notice, alternatively it might just indicate a degree of incompetence in VM's operations - who can tell?

Now then, badgering to take out additional services, which, incidentally absolutely would, legitimately, start a new 18 month contract, is a new one. It would appear that, failing to get you to agree, they decided to (arguably unlawfully), try it on anyway!

Now in a day or so, a member of the forum team will get to this thread and offer to help. They will take details, and I have absolutely no doubt that they will be able to 'resolve' the issue along with a suitable apology - the consequences of them not doing so is somewhat legally embarrassing and costly, shall we say, for VM!

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

VMUser1812
Fibre optic

Alas, no, not an isolated mistake as you will discover should you want to browse these forums, where you will discover that this very issue is oft repeated!

Firstly, the logic here is that, yes, moving house does setup a new account - technically and legally the contract is to supply a service to a particular address, not to a person. So a new account is setup which automatically triggers a new 18 month minimum period - but, this is supposed to be adjusted to reflect the terms of your old account. Unfortunately, based on what has been reported on here, it does seem that rather than being an automated process, it requires a degree of manual intervention by 'a manager' - oddly enough, this doesn't always seem to be done!

Now a cynical person might well think that this is a deliberate attempt to 'accidentally' lock people into a new contract in the hope that they won't notice, alternatively it might just indicate a degree of incompetence in VM's operations - who can tell?

Now then, badgering to take out additional services, which, incidentally absolutely would, legitimately, start a new 18 month contract, is a new one. It would appear that, failing to get you to agree, they decided to (arguably unlawfully), try it on anyway!

Now in a day or so, a member of the forum team will get to this thread and offer to help. They will take details, and I have absolutely no doubt that they will be able to 'resolve' the issue along with a suitable apology - the consequences of them not doing so is somewhat legally embarrassing and costly, shall we say, for VM!

Joseph_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @foc,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear that has happened for you, what I can do for you is get you in for a quick private message to have a look into the account and confirm what has happened for you. I will be sending you this private message shortly.

If you have not used our private message feature before you can access it via the envelope at the top of your screen.

Speak to you soon. Joe

Many thanks, Joe, have sent a private message.

Many thanks VMuser1812 for that very helpful reply. A member of the team has been in touch, so hopefully all will be resolved, at least for my personal case. As you say, it's in everyone's interests to do so.

Just wanted to record that this was sorted by Joe ...but took a lot of messaging back and forth (and I'd been 100% clear from the start about preserving my contract terms). I'd encourage others to post and try to resolve via private messaging if contacted by someone from VM, and I hope VM take note and don't make the same mistake with other customers going forward. 

Thanks for the update foc and we're pleased to hear Joe was able to resolve this for you. If you need us again in the future, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

Rob