Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Moving house, impossible to cancel service

This was my third attempt to cancel the service because we are moving house. Dreadful quality of service from Virgin prompted me to look elsewhere for my next service provider. I am out of fixed contract and have just been paying monthly for the past few months.

I decided to weather it out this time. Spend 35 minutes listening to awful screeching that whoever set it up might call music. The first person I spoke to said she needed to transfer me to the "correct" department even though the number I called was listed as the number when wanting to cancel your service on the website. Why does there need to be a intermediate step before reaching who you want? Anyway, after another 5 minutes on the wait, when I got through said I would like to cancel my service because of moving house. The guy asked why we're not keeping the service and I answered it is because I am swathing to mobile broadband. Immediately after, I heard a click on his end end then no replies to any of my voices, questions and later on curses. It might have been coincidence but the timing was all to convenient. Having read similar experiences from other customers, I can only conclude that the call was dropped intentionally. On my end I was still connected and the little timer that shows you call duration kept on ticking away.

Why can't we just cancel our services through the same website that shows all information about our contracts, services, usage and everything else? Why are we forced to call this dreadful, non-existent service? Yes, I know, they would like to sell us more crap instead of finally breaking free from this **bleep**.

So, how can one cancel the service these days? Stop the direct debit? Keep on calling the various support numbers and get disconnected? File a complaint and deal with it for 3+ months for something that should have been straightforward? Is it even legal to withdraw all means of cancelling a service with the excuse it's COVID? Come on, it's been 7 months!

Did anyone have any success cancelling their contracts or services in past few months? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Moving house, impossible to cancel service

Hi apotocnik,

Have you tried the online messenger chat service for Moving Home? contactus/moving-home 

Click on the red Message Us icon and a chat window should open. This works best if using  a PC/laptop rather than a mobile or tablet.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks newapollo! It took a couple of tries and page refreshes but I'm at least in the queue for web chat now. Hopefully they can't drop the connection there.

For anyone else trying to get through the web chat - you may need to refresh the page a few times and click on the contact us icon a few times and a "Contact Us" button should finally appear.

Also be aware there seems to be a bug that shows "agent is typing" at all times in the chat window when there is no reply actually being written.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Consider making Ofcom aware of the issue with cancelling here Tell Ofcom.

FYI : Virgin Media's Terms and conditions (under section N, point 1.2) state ending the agreement in writing can be made to the following address:

Virgin Media Sales Operation Support  
Diamond Plaza  
Daleside Road  
Nottingham  
Nottinghamshire  
NG2 3GG 

Be aware of early cancellation charges if still within the minimum contract period

Use a postal service that provides confirmation of delivery, for instance Royal Mail's Recorded Delivery service; 30 days notice period starts from receipt.

Also consider whether it is appropriate to quote your account password (the one quoted when calling Virgin Media) in your cancellation letter to confirm you are the account holder.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Very Insightful Person, I was looking for a quick way to close the account, hoping not having to deal with complaints procedure.

I can confirm I was able to terminate the service through web chat, even if the chat itself is technically a bit iffy (reloads unexpectedly).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi apotocnik,

Thanks for the update. It's good to hear you managed to receive the outcome you where after.

Stay safe, take care, and good luck in your new property.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos