cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home - destination question

Louise515
On our wavelength

Hi

I'm going to be moving soon but staying local. I have fibre broadband only and want to have that installed at the new address (a second floor rented flat (housing association)). Apparently, it is available but isn't currently installed in the new flat - there only appears to be a telephone socket. What would be involved with installing the fibre broadband, and can I overlap the service at my current address and the new one? I don't want to be without an internet connection and I need to do the move home over a few weeks or so.

Thanks

40 REPLIES 40

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Louise515 

I'm afraid that VM don't offer broadband connections via the telephone line, it's all via cable. 

You should enter the postcode and house/flat  number of the new address into the BT availability checker to get an estimate of broadband speeds available there. 

https://www.bt.com/content/bt/storefront/en/broadband/availability.html 

You should maybe also use a broadband comparison site to see if any altnets service that address too?.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Louise515
On our wavelength

Hi Dave, yes I appreciate VM doesn't do ADSL but I was asking a general question. BT says there is Superfast Fibre 2 available. It's in a centre. It's just that it's sheltered housing and doesn't appear to have any internet connections at the moment and I don't know how easy it would be to have a connection installed. I'll ask the Housing Association if I'm allowed to get it done. There will be a touchscreen monitor but I assume that will work via the phone line. Of course, the pstn is due to be phased out in the next few years anyway. I suppose I'll have to phone VM to find out about 'serviceability' of fibre at the address. I just hate trying to sort out things over my mobile phone - I don't find it easy to hear what people are saying and I easily get befuddled with it! It's no fun growing old...

Louise515
On our wavelength

*city centre

Hi @Louise515 thanks for getting back to us.

I can have a look at your account to ensure there will be no complications when you give your notice. I am going to send you a private message. Please keep an eye on your inbox in the top right of your screen.

Regards

Lee_R

Louise515
On our wavelength

Hi Lee

If there's a catv hatch near the front of the property does that mean it would be easy to connect up a fast VM line?

eg

Paved.jpg

Thanks

Louise

goslow
Alessandro Volta

The CATV cover might suggest that VM could be possible but have you approached the housing association yet?

First of all you should find out from them what connections are available in your new home. If the building is not currently serviced by VM, you should ask the housing association if they would be willing for it to be installed to your new home.

There are regular topics on the forums where a (seemingly) simple installation gets totally bogged down (or fails altogether) because of wayleave issues and permission to run cables to the property. If you don't have the housing association onboard, then you won't be able to go any further, even is VM is willing/able to install.

Louise515
On our wavelength

Hi

The HA are fine about me having a connection installed. They have no knowledge of what is or has been there. There is what looks like a previous old something there:

NTLBox_small.jpg

There is a master (phone) socket with a faint Virgin Media on it. 

I'm obviously trying to avoid any installation problems. It's all very frustrating when I know there is full fibre in the street but I can't easily find out what can be connected.

@Lee_R 

Louise

goslow
Alessandro Volta

That is a VM broadband coaxial connection I would say. You would connect the VM hub here.

NTL was a predecessor of VM.

Louise515
On our wavelength

But it seems rather old? It has 'NTL' on it. How can I find anything out for certain?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

I have an even-older NTL box in my home which was in use until just last year with 20+ year-old wiring. NTL merged with VM.

You need to go through the VM moving home process

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/moving-home

Lee_R offered to look into it for you 2 weeks ago via a PM where did that get to?