cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving home - destination question

Louise515
On our wavelength

Hi

I'm going to be moving soon but staying local. I have fibre broadband only and want to have that installed at the new address (a second floor rented flat (housing association)). Apparently, it is available but isn't currently installed in the new flat - there only appears to be a telephone socket. What would be involved with installing the fibre broadband, and can I overlap the service at my current address and the new one? I don't want to be without an internet connection and I need to do the move home over a few weeks or so.

Thanks

40 REPLIES 40

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Louise515 

Have you spoken to/contacted the VM Home Movers team as they may have more details?

You will probably need permission from the housing association before VM can be installed in your new property.

Some multi-occupancy dwellings already have main VM point which all residents use to connect to. have you asked the housing association if they have that installed for VM?

There might also be a health and safety issue installing the VM connections/equipment as they generally only go up to the first floor.

VM don't overlap connections between properties and there may be a delay in getting VM installed if it needs a new cable run or there are any problems found with any existing cabling.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi Dave thanks for your reply. No I haven't contacted anyone yet - that's why I posted on here. I live in a similar 6-flat / 3 storey block, and didn't have any problems having a connection here on the second floor. I'll double check with the HA - I don't see why it should be a problem in this day and age. Broadband checkers say lots of fibre broadband providers are available at the post code (city centre).

Louise

ps what do you mean by won't overlap connections? I just want to keep the current connection whilst I have the new flat installed.

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Louise515,

Thanks for your post and welcome back to the community.

The overlap in connection would be just for if there is any external work that needs completing, one service can only be active whilst the other is either cancelled or awaiting install.

I'd advise for this to get in touch with the team on 0345 454 1111/150 if calling from a VM landline to investigate the property that you're moving into to see if it is serviceable. 

Regards,

Kain

Louise515
On our wavelength

Thanks for your reply. Is that number free from my non-VM mobile? Can I not order a new installation whilst keeping the old one going for a few weeks? I'm looking at moving over a period of several weeks and I don't want to lose my current connection whilst the move is in process, plus I understand a new installation can take up to 4 weeks to complete. Although fibre is available in the street, my new destination flat/property doesn't appear to have any fibre connections - just landline. If I can't keep my current VM open whilst I make the move then I'd have to go to a new provider and cancel VM when I've completed the move. I've been with VM since 2011 at my current address so I would hope they would be a bit flexible...

Louise

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for getting back to us on this. 

So you wouldn't be able to order a new installation if for example let's say you are still in contract for your current account and the services would need to be transferred.

If the new address is not serviceable then you could be eligible for no EDF's on the package however I'd advise to get in touch so our team can survey whether the address can be serviced.

Regards,

Kain

Louise515
On our wavelength

Ok, so I'd have to go to another provider then. Seems daft.

Louise515
On our wavelength

I don't have a recent contract (as mentioned, have been with VM since 2011) so presumably, if it becomes necessary, I would just need to give 30 days notice to terminate the current 'agreement'. Would VM want their old Superhub 1 back? It's well out of date now...

Louise

Louise515
On our wavelength

If it turns out that, despite fibre being in the road, my only option is to connect via the phone line, what sort of internet speeds might I get? (I'm in Glasgow City.)