Menu
tiantianisfox
Settling in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Moving home, can i just cancel my contract?

Hi all, I am moving home and I want to either start a new virgin contract or switch to other providers as the current virgin subscription is quite expensive after the initial introduction period. 

I have been trying to phone them for 2 hours today, and each time I reach the cancellation team, they just directly pull me over to the home moving team, and no one is apparently working there as no one picks up the phone.

The question is, can I just outright cancel my subscription or I have to hassle with the home moving team as they suggested??

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving home, can i just cancel my contract?

If you're in an introductory discount period, then cancelling will trigger early exit penalties, and unless you're within the last few weeks those are often very expensive.  Usually that means that you're better off transferring the service to the new address.

But don't change your package when moving, or try and change address during the last month of the existing fixed term, otherwise that will start a new 18 month contract.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi tiantiaisfox,

When moving home it's the Moving house team that close the account.

Have you checked if VM is available in your new property? Do you know if the current occupiers have VM or had them in the past?

The reason I'm asking is that new connections don't always go smoothly if external work is required.

Yes, you could probably negotiate a new discounted deal, but that will tie you into a new 18 month contract.

Possibly better to just transfer your current account across to the new property as it is, as if you don't make ant changes then the contract will continue at the current rate without tying you into a new contract.

Then if all's well call and negotiate or cancel.

You might be able to use the online chat messenger to talk to the Moving home team  by signing into https://my.virginmedia.com/home/index  at the top of the page .

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

tiantianisfox
Settling in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for the tips.

My current contract already passed its introductory period so i can cancel without fees.

I struggle to locate where can I online chat with the customer services.. could you enlighten me? 

Nowadays the top priority of any service provider is to not allowing people to cancel easily. this is for sure. 

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You have two options..

1. Call back and navigate through to "thinking of leaving us" - this will put you in touch with the retentions team who can cancel your services.

2. Write to VM at

Virgin Media Sales Operation Support,

Diamond Plaza,

Daleside Road,

Nottingham,

Nottinghamshire,

NG2 3GG

To keep things simple, I wouldn't bother mentioning that you're leaving because you're moving.. just tell them that you want to terminate the contract.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi again tiantiaisfox,

The messenger tab isn't always available 24/7 as phone calls take priority.

Use the link in my post above, and then click on the My Upgrades & Offers tab and the messenger chat should be there to click on as shown below.

Type in Home Move. You will be quizzed by a bot at first before hopefully been passed to an agent.

If you need to resort to using the phone again then it's best to call between 8 and 10am, or afternoon tea time when lines are less busy.

EDIT.  Just checked and that link isn't currently working for me 😞

Clipboard01.jpg

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tiantianisfox
Settling in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This appears to be the situation I am in.

I have unfortunately told them I am moving.

And now when i call to the retention team (which is the only team that can pick up phones immediately), they refuse to provide any service but directly transfer me to the moving house team. 

And the moving house team simply is not staffed.. I am on hold for 2 hours. 🙂

0 Kudos
sophist
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

my experience of hte retentions team has generally been pretty good... call them back, explain that you don't want to take your services with you, that you're not looking for house move support, and that you just want to cancel

0 Kudos