Menu
Supergaz90
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Moving disconnection fee

Hello everyone. 

Just 2 months ago my contract had ended and I was looking for a better deal. I was about to leave Virgin when they offered me a decent deal, the problem was that I was moving house. They said that this will be ok cos I can just transfer the contract so I signed up.

Anyway, as you can probably guess once I moved I was told Virgin do not operate in the area of my new Address  and i would be charged £240 to cancel my contract.

This seems unbelievably excessive, I thought once I explained the situation that they would waiver it but I was told that I agreed to this in the terms and conditions. It is likely that I did but I feel they should have advised me of this possibility when recommending that I can just transfer. Does anyone know if viehin record their calls?

I dont have that kind of money laying around for nothing! If I cant get out of it I will probably have to go without tv for around a year:-(

Thanks

Gary

0 Kudos
lotharmat
Well-informed
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving disconnection fee

Ooooh crikey!

When I re-negotiated a new contract I was told that it was an 18 month contract and "was I planning on moving house at any point in 18 months"

I don't think there will be much come back to be honest!

Good luck though!

------------------------------------------------------------------
Hub 3 - Modem Mode - TP-Link Archer C7

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi there Supergaz90, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear that we are unable to offer you a service at your new address. When in a minimum terms, if moving and are unable to take services with you then an early termination fee will apply. These are capped at £240 so you won't ever pay more than this for the fee. 

We understand this must be disappointing but the only advice I can offer is to ensure you have registered for Cable My Street. This will ensure when the lightning teams are drawing up plans to come to new areas they can take the new address into consideration. 

Apologies once again. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Supergaz90 wrote:

Just 2 months ago my contract had ended and I was looking for a better deal. I was about to leave Virgin when they offered me a decent deal, the problem was that I was moving house. They said that this will be ok cos I can just transfer the contract so I signed up.

Anyway, as you can probably guess once I moved I was told Virgin do not operate in the area of my new Address  and i would be charged £240 to cancel my contract.

Speak with Citizens Advice to better understand your rights under the circumstance described.

Exercise your rights under the GDPR to request copies of such data, i.e. audio records and notes made on your record, by either:

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Supergaz90
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,

Thanks for your reply and I know you are only doing your job but can I ask why it is capped at £240? 

Also I have to say that, if Virgin Media insist that i have to pay this fee, signing up to "cable my street" will be pointless as I will never use the company again and I will make sure I tell as many people about this situation as possible and let them make their own minds up about which service to choose.

Gary

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

£240 may well be the cost of providing the services.

you agreed to keep the services at the current address for the minimum term. that is what the contract si for.
The EDF applies to anyone cancelling but if you can and do move or take out new services with VM when you move they wave this fee.
0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Supergaz90,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, I am sorry to hear you are moving to a none cabled property and are unable to get the services and have to pay the early disconnection fee.

In answer to your question this is capped at £240 so this is the maximum you would ever pay, if this wasn't in place and for instance you had 10 months left of your contract and you pay £60 a month then the early disconnection fee would be £600 plus your final bill.

This is in our terms and conditions which can be found here.

Kind regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Supergaz90
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Paul,

Now I understand, so to pay £600+ for being in a mis-sold contract would be extortionate but £240 is reasonable. 

Thanks for your time. 

Gary

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

its debatable if it was mis-sold.

you were rightly adviced that if you can get vm you can take your contract with you.
That is also stated in the terms of the contract that you agreed to.

0 Kudos
Supergaz90
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I would like to share my experience with Virgin Medoa with as many people as possible. Ideally potential customers. I wont give them an opinion, just facts. Does anyone know the best way to do this? I want to stay on the right side of law 🙂

0 Kudos