Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Moving Home

I only joined Virgin Media 3 weeks ago on the £79 PM full package with everything but have unfortunately been forced to move home and apparently Virgin isn’t available at my new address even though it’s on that road?

where do I stand? As I have only been a customer 3 weeks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 2
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving Home

Where you stand in terms of your contract is that had you cancelled within two weeks of your service starting, then you'd be OK.  As it seems that the penalty free cancellation window has ended, and you have undoubtedly committed to a contract that has a big discount for a fixed term, and if you cancel during that then you will be liable for early termination fees, which I think VM limit to "only" £250.  Whilst you might consider it unreasonable of VM to demand such fees when they say they can't supply services at your new address, that doesn't help, because the penalty is contingent purely on your cancelling the existing contract, and has nothing to do with where you move to.  And complaining to the joke of a regulator won't help, because Ofcom looked at this issue a year or two back, and failed to stand up for consumers (as usual).

There's two very tiny glimmers of hope:

1) Asking if VM will review the potential to connect your new property.  Might take a few weeks, but if that can be done you get the services you wanted and shouldn't have to pay the penalty.  I believe VM's initial assessment of connectivity is just run off of postcode address file data so is often wrong but you'll have to hope the forum staff will take pity and look into this option.

2) If VM can't or won't connect you, and want an exit penalty, you can appeal to their goodwill.  I'm assuming that the sudden move wasn't planned, and there's some "circumstances".  Ask if they'll reconsider.  If they say no, then write (postal letter) to their chief executive at VM's UK head office (Google the details) explaining all of the situation, and asking for them to reconsider in the light of your particular circumstances.

If all that fails, then you have to pay, I fear.  If you refuse they'll blackmark your credit file (lots of longer term reasons you don't want that), and you may get taken to court or have the debt passed to a debt collection agency - and they can come back at you any time in the next six years.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos