Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Moving Home and New Contracts (and offers?)

When you move home your contract is basically reset with a new lock-in period of 18 months, unless I'm mistaken. But you keep paying the same.

If that's so, what's the benefit of doing so, instead of just closing the old contract and opening a new one, getting the "new user offers"?

I'm sure there might be a benefit of keeping the old one, but I cannot find it.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving Home and New Contracts (and offers?)

If your existing contract has a fixed term, then by cancelling it you get by hit by early termination fees.  If you're not in a fixed term contract, then presumably you're paying full whack now, and there's no big deal.  If you are in a fixed term contract that should carry over.

From the T&Cs:

5. Where we have agreed with you to continue providing the same services that you received at your current address to your new address and this is during any minimum period, then that minimum period will continue at your new address (for example, where your services are on a 12 month minimum period, if you move during month 7 of your minimum period, the remaining 5 months of your minimum period will apply for those same services being provided at your new address). Where we have agreed with you to change the services you receive at your new address then a new minimum period may apply for those services and the service start date for that new minimum period will be the date that the equipment is installed at your new address.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Good morning @Lohoris 

Thank you for taking the time to post. 

As @Andruser has covered in the T&C 

If you have have moved to a new property, unless you have upgraded your account when moving the contract terms will stay the same. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So, according to this:

Where we have agreed with you to change the services you receive at your new address then a new minimum period may apply for those services and the service start date for that new minimum period will be the date that the equipment is installed at your new address.

If the minimum period is already over, and I do not change anything, there isn't a new minimum period, and I could just close the contract 1 month after moving (not that I'm planning to, you get the idea).

Right?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Lohoris,

Thank you for coming back to us, if you have moved and just carried on with the previous contract to price change or new equipment then yes if the contract is up then indeed you can give your 30 days notice without any penalty.

Regards

Paul.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

So I've moved the contract without changing anything, the operator at the phone told me that there was just 1 month of minimum period for some reason, and instead I receive a brand new contract with a new minimum period of 18 months.

Good job, really. Now I'll have to cancel the contract and stay on the phone for hours listening to constant advertisements.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your post, Lohoris.

If it's a house move and you are moving your services over as is, without any changes there would not be a renewed contract term. The only thing that changes might be the account number since this is linked to the physical address. Were you able to get through to a member of the team?

Cheers,

Corey C

0 Kudos