Menu
LouisT
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Moving Home - New contract without my consent.

In June 2020 I moved address and before doing so, I spoke to a member of virgin transfer team over the phone. They told me that my existing contract would be transferred to my new address and none of my services would change and that I wouldn't have to pay anything.

I'm still on Virgin 350, in Area 22 and NOTHING has changed except the address.

The guys came and installed my router to the new property and my bills continued with no change (as far as I was aware). 

When November 2020 came around, I called to ask to terminate my services as my payments increased by £20 from £35 a month to £59 a month. They abruptly told me I couldn't leave my contract as it wasn't due to end and if I did, I would have to pay several hundred pounds in termination fees.

When trying to view my contract myself on the Virgin Media website, I am greeted with a page that states "Unfortunately we don't have a digital copy of your current contract", what's the deal with that?

Recently, I have been working from home and losing connection from my office VPN constantly (buying my own router seems to have fixed this connectivity issue).
I have looked again at leaving Virgin and realise now that my customer account number on my original contract, 8748*****, is completely different to the customer number on the home page of the Virgin Media website 7091*****.

I have called today to ask what is going on and after been on hold for 30 minutes, the customer service agent told me that in June 2020 I was placed on a new 12 month contract, I explained that this wasn't the case and I was completely unaware of this, but all the customer service agent would do it try and offer me a new 18 month contract at £53 per month.

I just want out. I didn't agree to pay so much and I didn't agree to be stuck with this service for so long. 

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving Home - New contract without my consent.

Thanks for the post LouisT and welcome to our community.

When you move home the account number will always be different, have you been in contact with team to confirm the contract information regarding cancellation on 150/0345 454 1111 options 1, 4 then 4? 

Let us know, Emily.

0 Kudos
LouisT
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Emily_G, thanks for the response.

Yes, this is where they informed me that I had been signed up to a new 12 month contract and offered me another 18 month contract.

I explained the situation to them but they didn't seem to know how to respond to my issue so didn't address it.

Thanks,

Louis.

0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

If in regards to the account number change they'd indeed not be able to resolve this as it would be different. 

What was the resolution you were looking for? 

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

afaik if nothing changed then your old contract should have continued - whether that generates a new account number i have no idea - there should have been a one off £20 charge for the account transfer - if you were not charged that then the indication is that the agent ignored things and started a new contract as confirmed by the facts you state now

i again say afaik as that was the case - things change and VM may have changed account transfer

if things are the same then VM did it wrong - the fact you are on the same package should prove the fact that a new contract should not have been started

@Emily_G can you have another look please as the customer should not be in this position [again afaik]

Tony
0 Kudos
Emily_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The movers fee would be £20 instead of early termination fees, I believe in the case above they've already moved house and had this they're talking in terms of the contract on the account after the move.

Thanks, Emily.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Emily_G wrote:

The movers fee would be £20 instead of early termination fees, I believe in the case above they've already moved house and had this they're talking in terms of the contract on the account after the move.

Thanks, Emily.

something is getting lost in the reading it seems

the OP moved house - they transferred their service without a change to the package - they were told or understood that would not start a new contract - its not clear if the £20 moving fee was applied - i would guess not

as unknown to the customer whoever at VM did the transfer started a new contract - this should not have happened - their original contract from the old aggress should have continued

thats my understanding of what i read above - i am not sure what you are seeing but we seem to be understanding it differently?

Tony
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@-tony- wrote:

@Emily_G wrote:

Thanks, Emily.

something is getting lost in the reading it seems

the OP moved house - they transferred their service without a change to the package - they were told or understood that would not start a new contract - its not clear if the £20 moving fee was applied - i would guess not

as unknown to the customer whoever at VM did the transfer started a new contract - this should not have happened - their original contract from the old aggress should have continued

thats my understanding of what i read above - i am not sure what you are seeing but we seem to be understanding it differently?

Agreed.

See VM's Terms and Conditions: Section O, item 5;
https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#movin...

Where we have agreed with you to continue providing the same services that you received at your current address to your new address and this is during any minimum period, then that minimum period will continue at your new address (for example, where your services are on a 12 month minimum period, if you move during month 7 of your minimum period, the remaining 5 months of your minimum period will apply for those same services being provided at your new address). Where we have agreed with you to change the services you receive at your new address then a new minimum period may apply for those services and the service start date for that new minimum period will be the date that the equipment is installed at your new address.

Providing that there was no change to the services provided no new contract should have been brought into effect, and the original contract and term still applies.

As for a "movers fee", see the same section in the T's & C's, item 4:

If we agree to provide the services to your new address, you may have to pay a service transfer charge (to be paid to Virgin Media Payments).  Details of the service transfer charge are set out in the price guides.

Note: That's MAY have to pay a service charge, not WILL have to pay.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
LouisT
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

This is 100% correct @Sololobo

@Emily_G please read my query again below.

When we moved addresses, none of our services changed. We were on Virgin 350 fibre with a minimum term of 12 months at the previous address and then they transferred the Virgin 350 fibre to the new address.

It is exactly the same as product as previously supplied.

When it came to ending the service in November, they told me I wasn't able to becuse "I wasn't at the end of my contract", eventhough I called on the day it should have ended. 

I then called again in January after realising the account number had changed and they informed me that when I moved addresses "I had been put onto a new 12 month contract", meaning I had an additional ~7 months added onto my original contract.

When I moved I was informed that my services would continue as normal and there would be no charge for moving. Well in-fact there IS a charge for moving, a charge of about £425 in additional contract fees that I didn't agree to. 

I submitted an official complaint (reference: C-0402214101) on 4th February and am still yet to hear anything back. 

0 Kudos
Zoie_P
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi LouisT,

I am so sorry to hear this, you are correct as I moved 2 years ago and just took my contract, we did have new equipment as the property needed to be installed, I can look into this and raise a complaint about this look at the fees and get you back on the package you should have been on, I will pop you over a private message so keep an eye out for the purple envelope 🙂

Zoie

0 Kudos