cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved = New Contract

JennyJukes
Tuning in

Hi,

I joined V.Media as a new customer on September 2018 with the discount to £27 per month until September 2019.

I moved address July 10th and took my virgin media with me.

Unbeknown to me, this "renewed" my contract to July 2020.

I called to find out and they said contracts change with a move of address.  I wasn't informed of this otherwise I would have cancelled.  On the "Moving Home" FAQ it also says the contract doesn't change unless services do.  What I have been advised on the phone is that contracts renew when you move home and I will get my discount until September then will have to pay the non-discounted price of £42 until my contract ends now next year.

I have a "new contract" I can see on my Virgin Media account saying my bill will be £42 until July 2020 but isn't signed or dated by myself whilst my old contract is signed and dated.

The guy on the phone said I can call when my deal goes up to the non-discounted price and see what we can do then.  He said they also can't advise me of an exit fee until then.  He also offered to put in a complaint on my behalf as I wasn't advised on this which I said ok to then.  

Just wondering if I'm missing something in my contract or what's going on?  I had also originally scheduled my change over date to be 7th July then asked for it to be changed to the 10th.  I received a text on the 7th saying my "equipment" was being delivered to the new address even though I was taking my own hub and wasn't in the property yet.  I contacted Virgin Media who said it was ok my date had been changed and not to worry but when I arrived on the 10th there was new equipment..??

Can anyone advise thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

We can confirm that for you Tony 🙂 If a customer moves property and keeps exactly the same services the existing contract should continue. Basically, if the customer wasn't in a contract but the services were rolling over each month this should remain the same, if they had 4 months remaining on a 12 month contract, this should still be the same at the new address.

If ANY changes are made either to the services or equipment a new 12 months contract will be issued.

Hope this helps clarify thing.

Rob

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

132 REPLIES 132

Kippies
Alessandro Volta

I was going to argue with you as it used to be moving home invokes a new contract. But as you correctly point out the website says different.

SO then you are into wrangles over WHICH TOS applied at the time of your move- the retrospective version which would have been active when you took out the original., or the new ones...

Thats above my pay-grade, so Ill ask the question.

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

all sounds wrong but things do change and they just update the small print - did you move through the moving team and did you pay £20 for the move - that used to be the key - if thats whats happened your old contract should just have carried one with the original end date - see what come of the question above but my feeling is the agent got it wrong

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Yeah I have a £20 moving charge and no changes to my services but the new contract on my account says £42.  I did the moving online through the chat service.  I initially had it scheduled for the 8th of July (sorry I said 7th on the OP but the 7th is what I had originally scheduled then V. Media said the quickest they could do was the 8th) but had to change my move in date to 10th July which again was done online.

On the 8th of July I received a text to say my kit would be delivered that day.  I text back the delivery number to say I didn't have access to the property and wasn't moving until the 10th but no reply.  I also again did the online chat to state this and they said not to worry the moving date had been changed.  Still, when I arrived on the 10th there was a kit placed in the kitchen for me so I assume it arrived on the 8th and the landlord picked it up (he was cleaning from previous tenant from the 7th-10th).  My contract also states it changed from the 8th of July yet the person I called yesterday said the contract he sees does say from the 10th and that he would update it but I look now and it still says the 8th and I haven't received anything updated in my emails.

I'm just confused - I have looked at my previous contract and the TOS and can't see anything about renewing contract when move and I was going by what it says in the Moving Home FAQ:

"What happens with my contract when I move?

If you don’t change your services when you move, your contract will continue as normal. If you do change your services, you’ll be subject to a new minimum term as per the terms of your new agreement."

It seems like they're saying to me that my initial contract is being honoured but when I moved I entered a new contract so after my old contract expires in September I'm still tied into an end date of July from the move.  Again, if I had known that, I would have paid an exit fee and got a new supplier when I moved as I (hopefully) would have only had to pay a fee from July-September rather than now September-July.

@ModTeam - can someone pick this up please - i think - pretty sure thats know - that whats happened here is wrong 

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello jennyjukes

Thank you for taking the time to post and welcome to the community.

In order to look into this further for you i'll need to take some details form you. I'm going to send you a Private Message so I can look into this further for you.

Looking forward to your response.

Rob

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Robert_P without giving details of this particular account it would be useful if you confirmed whats being said in a broad manner - there is comment elsewhere but for users of the board a statement on what should happen when a user moves without a package  change would add to peoples knowledge

my understanding is that this should not start a new contract

taking things to pm has to happen in specific cases but not to answer the broad question

Tony.
Sacked VIP

We can confirm that for you Tony 🙂 If a customer moves property and keeps exactly the same services the existing contract should continue. Basically, if the customer wasn't in a contract but the services were rolling over each month this should remain the same, if they had 4 months remaining on a 12 month contract, this should still be the same at the new address.

If ANY changes are made either to the services or equipment a new 12 months contract will be issued.

Hope this helps clarify thing.

Rob

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Robert_P  thanks - that was/is my understanding but things change and its [sometimes] difficult to keep up - so confirmation is always useful

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Apologies tony for not putting it in my original response, hopefully the confirmation helps with future queries of this nature.

Rob