Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Mobile number linked to an old NTL account

My mobile number is linked to an old NTLWorld account last active about 15 years ago. Every time I phone up Virgin, it says "does your postcode end with 3FB" and I have to choose option 2 for "no".

This must be some kind of GDPR issue, as you're clearly retaining my phone number on your systems beyond your business requirements... and not least because it's not even my account it's linked to!!

I don't know why my number is on the account, as it's not my name on it... although I am still friends with the account holder so I could get in touch with him if needed, I don't think that's the problem.

A helpful colleague deleted my number from the old account yesterday.  We thought that would fix it... but no, today it again asked me if my post code is 3FB.  Clearly there's some kind of system purge or refresh needed.  Or is there a delayed propagation / data copying routine so I just need to wait?  Will it be magically fixed tomorrow?

I would apppreciate someone looking into this for me.  I'm sure I've had 2 or 3 goes at fixing this with phone support people over the last few years... and each time it seems to make no difference... I'm wondering if someone can take it away as an action & and confirm when it's actually been fixed?

Just for the record, my mobile number *is* stored against the correct live Virgin account, and it's *no longer* stored against the old NTL account.  My account number now can be provided here, I assume, as it's useless to anyone reading this unless they can guess the password....?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile number linked to an old NTL account

Hi baldmosher,

Thank you for your post. I'm sorry to hear about this. 

I would recommend trying the number again today to see if this has been updated. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I left it a few days. Nope, still connected to the old account. Sounds like a database error but surely this is common when people's mobile numbers go off Virgin and back again? What's the process to renew the data periodically and delete old data for GDPR?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If someone could send me a direct message I'll be happy to provide the account & area codes and my mobile number by return

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I can look into this further for you baldmosher but would need to do this via a private message.

I will pop this over in a few moments and we can get the ball rolling on this.

Regards

Steven_L

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Case ref P009932500 logged -- still no joy!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Finally sorted -- thanks Steven!

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey baldmosher,

So glad to hear that Steven was able help sort the issue.

Let us know if there's anything else you need from us at all.

Stay safe and all the best,

Beth

0 Kudos