Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Mis sold contract

On the 6th of October, I was contacted by VM. They started to speak to me about offer that are available to me for being loyal customer, the man said to me that for £42 PM i could have all my current package plus all Sky cinema and children channels for 18 months, me thinking this was to good to be true I asked him if is this was including netflix which we already had paying through VM and my bill was already about £40pm.

He went away to speak to his supervisor and come back and said yes, for £ 42pm you will have your current package plus sky cinema channels,childrens channels and netflix, I still questioned this to make sure that he was correct with the cost and he assured me I will only be paying £42pm for 18mths.

On the 8th of October i recieved and email from VM with the receipt of changes and found that this is not the case, on January 2021 my bill would be going up to  £75pm, I phoned VM and the man said he could see the changes made but these was just add ons not a new package contract which I was lead to believe ,I explained that I was told my bill would be £42 amth for 18mths, he than asked me what I wanted him to do, so I told him I want the recording of my conversation on the 6th reviewed and what was offered to me to be honoured, he but in a request for the review and it could take up to 45 days.

Yesterday i recieved my bill receipt  via email for this month and it comes to £60 odd, I call VM  and asked why, and the man was very good and explained to me why it was that much. I went through all of the above with him and he said that he can see the notes on my account about the review but couldnt say much about it, he said that he couldnt give me what was offered to me in the 6th october but have the channels removed at no extra cost reducing my bill to its original cost, I asked to speak to his supervisor  but he wasnt available but put in a call back request for today which I missed due to an unexpected event. 

Could someone from VM please help get this matter resolved. 

PS  sorry it's long winded

Regards

Jim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Mis sold contract

These "didn't get the deal I agreed" situations happen from time to time.  However, your legal rights are crystal clear - information provided by a company verbally or written is binding if the consumer relies upon it when entering a contract (Consumer Rights Act 2015), so VM have to honour whatever was promised, whether they like it or not.  And perhaps they need to re-train some of their staff...

Hopefully the forum staff can pick this up and get it sorted - by which I mean that you get exactly the deal you were promised, not some less attractive compromise.  That would be the cheapest and quickest resolution for both parties, and the best way of trying to recover some goodwill in a bad situation.  If they can't get it sorted in that complete manner, you need to search, read and follow the Virgin Media Complaints Code of Practice.  Don't start a complaint until you've seen if the forum staff can get this sorted, because I believe they can't get involved once it has become a formal complaint. 

If you do need to raise a formal complaint (I suggest in writing, by recorded post), reject the contract they're trying to impose, and demanding that as per your legal rights the company honour what was promised, and pointing out that if the company can't honour its agreement you will escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS as soon as permitted by the rules.  In the meanwhile, don't do anything daft like stopping your direct debit, that'll be recorded as a credit default, and opens up whole new realms of difficulty for you.  Don't worry if VM contact you claiming that they couldn't get hold of you, so will close the complaint if they don't hear to the contrary, this doesn't stop you being able to take the matter further.

If VM still won't honour the contract despite the complaint, or say they're going to close the complaint, then you follow the process and escalate to the industry arbitration scheme no sooner than eight weeks after your initial complaint was received by VM.  Explain the background and request that VM be required to give you the promised deal, fully backdated, and add on a request for compensation for the hassle.  Not only does escalation to CISAS cost VM money (free to you, costs of several hundred quid are ALWAYS paid by the company) but it gets your case investigated and impartially heard by expert dispute resolution staff.  From published data, the majority of complaints escalated to CISAS, either the company immediately concedes, compromises, or loses at the end of arbitration.  Sadly that's not quick, and VM have up to eight weeks to resolve the complaint before you can go to CISAS, on the other hand your legal rights are very clear.

As I said earlier, hopefully the forum staff can get this resolved quicker and without the formality.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the information you have given.

Hopefully VM will sort this before it has to go further

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi PFC111,

Thanks for posting, and very sorry to hear of the situation with your package,

Package changes aren't usually something we would do via the forums, however I appreciate this isn't a usual circumstance.

I've popped you over a private message so I can get a few more details from you.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos