cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making sure contract does not auto-renew

fordcortina
Joining in

Hello,

I won't be needing my contract to auto renew when it runs out this October due to moving house. But I can't find anything on My Virgin Media about cancelling or stopping auto renewal at all. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@fordcortina wrote:

I see, so since my minimum term ends on the 4th of October this year, can I tell them 30 days before that I want it to end on this date, and then I won't have to pay any additional early termination fees?

Yes, technically and legally, you can call them before then (60 days or so before is regarded as reasonable) and give notice to take effect as of 4th October.

However, there have been more than a couple of posts on here, where customers have tried this and been told outright by the customer services agent that ‘no, you MUST call exactly 30 days beforehand or else’. This is a) complete rubbish; and b) Illegal - not that VM seem to be in any hurry to do anything about it!

I would advise that you draft a letter and send it to VM at their Sunderland office (address on the website somewhere). In this letter you explicitly state that you wish to cancel your contact as of 4th October and as per their Ts & Cs you are giving them the required (at least) 30 days notice. Date the letter, keep a copy and send it by registered, signed for, delivery.

There is, however a non zero chance that VM will ignore / lose /can’t be bothered to action, said letter and continue to bill you. That’s fine, continue to pay them, initiate a formal complaint and eventually pass it onto the Industry Ombudsman service for adjudication, oh and also make a formal complaint to OFCOM. You’ll get your money back plus compensation for VM’s failures.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There's no such thing as auto-renewal.

You have a rolling contract with VM that is subject to 30days cancellation notice at any time. That contract has a minimum term, during which you cannot terminate without additional charges applying.

Many people confuse this minimum term with their contract "ending" when it's nothing of the sort. If you don't want to enter into a new minimum term contract, then just continue as you are.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I see, so since my minimum term ends on the 4th of October this year, can I tell them 30 days before that I want it to end on this date, and then I won't have to pay any additional early termination fees?

@fordcortina wrote:

Yes, technically and legally, you can call them before then (60 days or so before is regarded as reasonable) and give notice to take effect as of 4th October.

However, there have been more than a couple of posts on here, where customers have tried this and been told outright by the customer services agent that ‘no, you MUST call exactly 30 days beforehand or else’. This is a) complete rubbish; and b) Illegal - not that VM seem to be in any hurry to do anything about it!

I would advise that you draft a letter and send it to VM at their Sunderland office (address on the website somewhere). In this letter you explicitly state that you wish to cancel your contact as of 4th October and as per their Ts & Cs you are giving them the required (at least) 30 days notice. Date the letter, keep a copy and send it by registered, signed for, delivery.

There is, however a non zero chance that VM will ignore / lose /can’t be bothered to action, said letter and continue to bill you. That’s fine, continue to pay them, initiate a formal complaint and eventually pass it onto the Industry Ombudsman service for adjudication, oh and also make a formal complaint to OFCOM. You’ll get your money back plus compensation for VM’s failures.