Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Making it difficult to cancel

I wouldn't mind if the wait times were long due to the Covid situation, but wait times have been long for years, no matter the time of day. If your call centre always has long wait times, then you need to hire more staff. I wouldn't mind paying an extra few quid a month if it meant I could actually get through.

I'm trying to give my 30 days' notice, but I can't get through to anyone. Before this I think I could have been persuaded to stay with a fair offer, but this antiquated method of business has made me think otherwise. The fact I can't cancel without taking an hour out of my day to speak to someone so they can persuade me otherwise in 2020 is farcical. I should be able to cancel online in seconds if that's what I want to do.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Making it difficult to cancel

you might be happy to pay a few £/month more but will everyone else.
If not you will end up paying £2000/month for your own 1 on 1 call center agent 🙂

Its about the bigger picture.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I get your point, but if I can't get through to someone then I;m being asked to pay more than a few quid more, but without any benefit to me.

This business model of offering discounts, then jacking up prices at the end of a contract may be more profitable, but it's certainly not customer-focused. If you then make it so it's overly difficult to actually get through to anyone to discuss your contract then it becomes even more insidious. Is the VM business model really based on making life hard for customers in the hope that they just give up and pay up for an easy life? Little wonder that streaming businesses that operate transparently without contracts and discounts, and where you can manage your account easily online, are taking more an more market share. I started this morning with the intention of calling retentions, doing the usual annual 'I want to leave' nonsense and playing along to keep my prices about the same, and then getting on with my life. It's just become another annual inconvenience. But making it nigh-on impossible to talk to someone has made me decide to stick with my principles. I'm out, I only use it for Sports really so I'll just start using Now TV passes. Simple to use, no contracts, can be managed online... it's how the world works in 2020. Forcing contact with salespeople in call centres is just backwards.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi pidge83,

You have the option of regrading online via My Virgin Media, however if you in the the upgrades and offers section you see an Oops something went wrong message, it's because you either already have a discount and the systems require an extra bit of manipulation by the agents to set up any new discounts, or because the package you are on is no longer sold and again requires the extra manipulation by agents to change the package.

If you don't want to be tied up on the phone then you could try the text messaging service. Just send  a text with a description of regrade  to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days. And is a little more frustrating than phoning.

If phoning it's best to call first thing on a morning, 8am, as it's less busy then.  Dial 150 from your Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, Options 1,1 and 4 Changes to your package

As to cancelling your package, there are currently three options.

You could try the text messaging service. Just send  a text with a description of cancellation  to 07533 051809. Your message will go into a queue and a representative will respond to you as soon as possible. It may take a few days

You can also call (again) 150 from your Virgin landline, or 0345 454 1111, but best to call at 8am to avoid call queues

Or write to them to as per the terms and conditions. If writing send it by registered post.

Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Diamond Plaza, Daleside Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG2 3GG;

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#end

If you are still in contract there may be some early cancellation fees

https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early...

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

you can cancel by post or use the text message.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It's now a week since I text the number above, and absolutely no acknowledgement of my texts, so I have no faith I will be able to cancel with that as my effective date. Still unable to get through on the phone. Going to have to write in and cancel, so more delay, and I have absolutely zero faith that my letter won't be completely ignored. Absolutely shocking service. LET ME CANCEL ONLINE.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I was lucky enough to get through and they actually refused to cancel. Sending mail as some wise people write here gives no confirmation as already checked and VM totally ignored it. VM should provide EMAIL where both parties have confirmation of sending/receiving the message. However they are so dodgy that they would not provide any kind of comfort for customers, but hey there is quite few different companies offering services, shortly there should be as well company providing same deals as VM.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I've submitted an official complaint - might be worth trying that Ripo? If someone wants to cancel at the end of a contract, it should be as simple as a single click on a website. It's 2020, I can do that with any other subscription service I'm signed up to, whether that's a Streaming service or IPTV through to my beer subscription and boxer shorts subscription service!

It's pretty rubbish of Virgin under normal circumstances to force you to call up and be sold to for half an hour by professional salespeople, but when they can;t even staff their call centres to make it possible to get through it's a disgrace. All I wanted to do initially was the usual 'I want to quit, wait, here's a better offer' nonsense, which itself is a farce, but now they can stick it.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi pidge83, thanks for the message, we do not do cancellations over the forums as this is a technical forum. Please call us on 0345 454 1111 options 1 4 5, use the text service or write in to us so that we can process the cancellation. Chris 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris,

I know you don't, which is why I posted this post initially. As mentioned above, I cannot get through to anybody on 0345 454 1111, and despite using the text service more than a week ago I have not had any acknowledgement at all. 

0 Kudos