cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major Credit Score impact. Shocking service

Kyloren22
Joining in

I’m absolutely disgusted with virgin media. Their customer service used to be the gold standard but now you just get generic replies in an email passing blame and not being at all helpful.

I recently moved into my own place in March of this year. What should have been a happy time has turned into a complete nightmare. When signing up for a new account Virgin seemed an easy choice, I was wrong. When signing up the website said they would be conducting a credit check. Naturally I believed this would be a soft search as had all my other utility bills been and the monthly payment was only £25 direct debit. I’ve had large car financing loans in the past that only used a soft search. Shortly after I was notified by ClearScore that they were conducting a hard search!!! After an initial panic I researched and saw that a hard search should only bring down my score about 10pts, especially since it’s my first. To my horror it brought my credit score down over 400 pts from a new perfect score to the bare minimum. Since I planned to be applying for mortgages in the coming weeks this caused one of the biggest panic attacks of my life.

I quickly emailed CreditFileAmendments@virginmedia.co.uk for some assistance.

All I received was this very generic email at the bottom of this post. I have subsequently email and called ClearScore and Equifax. With everyone pointing fingers at each other and no help. I’m not sure how Virgin can justify its hard search for a £25 direct debit. Then leave customers to clean up the mess it causes. I work for a company that genuinely puts its customers first so I receive this treatment is shocking. Looking at this forum I’m not the first and definitely won’t be the last. I’ve warned all my friends and family. 

additionally the hubs are terrible. The signal doesn’t reach outside the room it’s in. I’ve tried to contact the help desks to get a booster but there’s so many hoops to jump through by the time you try to speak to someone you are “on hold” for hrs. Then your internet drops and you have to start again.

The email received from Virgin after requesting assistance probably just a copy and paste.

Hello,

Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

We are sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the credit check carried out when you have applied for a Virgin Media package, as you feel misled by the advisor you spoke with.

We will be providing the relevant feedback regarding this. Unfortunately, we are unable to remove the credit search that is showing on your credit report, as it shows a true reflection to the credit reference agencies that you have requested services to be held at your address.

Our business reports consistently with other telecommunications and utility providers, it's important to us and our customers to make careful considerations when billing for our products and services.

Information that is provided by Equifax states that a soft search is usually conducted when an applicant has requested a quotation for credit, where as a full credit check is done when you have made a formal application for credit,utility providers,telecommunications and mobile phone companies.

At this point we believe we have acted in line with our expectations to both you as a customer and the credit reference agency .If you do require more information regarding this please contact the credit reference agencies directly as they have their own in-house scoring,which Virgin Media have no control over.

You can use the below information to raise the dispute directly with the agencies:

Equifax

Online: equifax.co.uk

By phone: 0845 603 3000

Experian

Online: experian.co.uk

By phone: 0344 481 0800

We hope this clarifies the details for you.

Kind Regards

The Virgin Media team.

1 REPLY 1

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Kyloren22

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

I am very sorry to hear you are unhappy with the credit check done and the impact this has had. 

I can see from your post you have already contacted the correct team and I can see in their reply they have explained why this was done and our position that it can not be removed.

I appreciate this isn't the answer you were hoping for, however we would be unable to change that decision.

With regards to the broadband signal, please download our connect app as any WiFi pods should be ordered there if one is required following the scans conducted via the app.

There is more information here for you.

Please pop back to us if you have any questions or concerns regarding this and we will do our best to help. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide