Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Ludicrous delay following incorrect disconnection

At around 6pm last night I spoke to someone in the Move team to try to provide notice that our month-to-month connection would not be needed after the middle of November. Like, I'm sure, tens of thousands of others, my wife and I have have two accounts while we are renovating a house while also living in temporary rental accommodation.

Now that we are close to finishing the renovations I asked that our month-to-month connection (in my name) would be cancelled on or after the 14th of November last night. 

That call was dropped mid-call and failed to reconnect (although apparently the agent tried to call me back).

This morning, our internet had been disconnected. I have now spent 90 minutes ascertaining that YES, the agent thought it should be disconnected today, despite being specifically told NOT to disconnect before the 14th of November and WITHOUT confirming that she had the request correct with a text, or voice mail or an email.

I have FURTHER ascertained that the "Customer Service" group accept that the agent in the Move team got it wrong and have asked to reconnect the service. 

HOWEVER, despite the fact that the incorrect disconnection took 6 hours, I have been told that *RECONNECTION* will take 48 hours. I have also been told that "this is the policy" and that (despite speaking to a "Manager") that there is no other escalation mechanism. And that I can raise a complaint -- but that this needs to be done by *letter* and that it will take 7-10 days. Clearly the fact that we have been loyal and lucrative customers for 10 years plus (in my wife's name) has zero relevance to this process.

This is UTTERLY ludicrous. Dear forum, how can I get this fixed!???

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ludicrous delay following incorrect disconnection

Hi jxturnuk1,

Thanks for your post and welcome to our community.

Very sorry to hear of the situation and for any confusion there was over the disconnection of your account.

Whilst I appreciate waiting on a re-connection is frustrating, what you've been advised is correct, it can take up to 48 hours to be connected.

You can raise a complaint via other methods, which can be found here 

The quickest way to raise a complaint would be whilst you're on the call, I'm happy to pop you over a private message to do this however if you need me to.

Kind regards, 

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ludicrous delay following incorrect disconnection

Hi Alex

So -- just to close this out. Whether it was this forum, or the nearly 2 hours spent on the phone, or the Chat complaints I made, my internet was restored yesterday around 3pm UTC.

Respectfully, though:

- 1. If you break it, you bought it. In the event that the Virgin team has made a mistake, the "Customer Service" team should be empowered to fix it, on the spot, not tell the poor customer that the process takes 48 hours and that there is no way of escalating it. The Manager I spoke to (in India) clearly had had training in dealing with irate customers. He had not had much more useful training: how to solve the customer's issue. Please spend time on that.

- 2. You are an internet company. Act like it. Your email mentioned that the fastest way to raise a complaint would be while I was on the phone. I did. However, rather than being able to either (a) speak to someone that could resolve the problem -- which would be the right approach or (b) send me an online form, the Manager that I spoke to opted for (c) -- tell the customer that a complaint had been raised and that I would receive a *letter* in 7-10 days. Everyone that reads this can understand that Virgin -- an *internet* media company -- should not even have option (c), let alone require some poor customer service manager in India to tell customers that is the only choice. Either the CSM needs more training, OR Virgin needs to seriously look at its policies and workflow.

All in all an incredibly frustrating process that could be fixed with just a modicum of common sense. The "48 hours to fix something we broke" thing is, as I said, ludicrous. I will certainly be telling lots of people about it, which is exactly what you *don't* want in our world of NPS surveys.

But thanks for fixing it faster than that.

Next time:

- If a "Move" call is made but breaks off half way through -- don't under any circumstances act without a text or email confirmation from the customer. If I was designing those systems it wouldn't be possible to do so.

- If you break it, you bought it. When you make a mistake, admit it (you did - thanks) -- and then FIX it. Fixing doesn't involve telling the customer that they have a ticket that cannot be escalated that will take 48 hours to move through the process. Everyone would understand that kind of delay in the event that someone dug up some fibre. But not a software switch.

Tx

/J

0 Kudos