cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lied to by UK customer service

jamesredfern
Superfast

Renewed my contract in November. Online chat gave me a price and pre-contract. On phone they changed the price assuring me the difference would be as a "managers credit" as there was a problem with the renewal online people were proposing. I have both contracts in my email. I'd like a full trans script of all phone conversations I have had with virmin call centres to confirm. 

9 REPLIES 9

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

You request chat transcripts (and perhaps other data) on the DSAR page.  If you don't get the requested data in 30 days, you report that to the ICO, as it's a breach of applicable regulation.

In terms of being promised one thing and VM implementing a different deal, that's pretty common.  See the boiler plate response below for how to get that sorted.

These "didn't get the deal I agreed" situations happen from time to time - in fact they happen regularly with Virgin Media. However, your legal rights are crystal clear - information provided by a company verbally or written is binding if the consumer relies upon it when entering a contract (Section 50 of the Consumer Rights Act 2015), so VM have to honour whatever was promised, whether they like it or not. No matter what VM say about "not the right deal", "can't offer that to you", "deal not on the system", you agreed a contract with their agent, that is now binding . And perhaps they need to re-train some of their staff because yours is a regular complaint in these forums.

Hopefully the forum staff can pick this up and get it sorted - by which I mean that you get exactly the deal you were promised, suitably backdated to when it should have been effective, and an appropriate goodwill gesture (say £70) for the inconvenience and stress. That would be the cheapest and quickest resolution for both parties, and the best way of trying to recover some goodwill in a bad situation. If they can't get it sorted in that complete manner (and don't settle for miserly goodwill payment), you need read the Virgin Media Complaints Code of Practice and raise a formal complaint. I suggest in writing, by recorded post. Reject the contract they're trying to impose, and demanding that as per your legal rights the company honour what was promised, and pointing out that if the company can't honour its agreement you will escalate to Ombudsman Services as soon as permitted by the rules.

If VM still won't honour the contract despite the complaint, or issue a fob-off resolution that doesn't settle things acceptably, then you reply by rejecting the "resolution" and asking for a deadlock letter, with that you take the matter to the Ombudsman. If VM stall and you can't get a deadlock letter then (ignoring that it is a breach of regulations) then eight weeks after your initial complaint was received by VM you can take the matter to the Ombudsman without a deadlock letter. Explain the background and request that VM be required to give you the promised deal, fully backdated, and add on a request for compensation for the hassle.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @jamesredfern, thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised regarding the discrepancy of the two prices mentioned.

I would like to look into getting this sorted for you, but firstly are you able to provide a screenshot of both the amounts please?

If you can kindly send these over, but please obscur any personal info such as account number, email address, address etc.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Screenshot_20230123_100443_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Screenshot_20230123_100359_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Hi @jamesredfern thanks for your reply.

It looks like the moderators have rejected your screenshots unfortunately, as it may have contained some personal info.

Can you review these please and send them through again, rejecting any personal info it may have previously contained? 

Many thanks

Tom_W

I'll try again. If this doesn't work there is nothing more I can remove. 

Screenshot_20230123_100359_Adobe Acrobat (1).jpg

Screenshot_20230123_100443_Adobe Acrobat (1).jpg

Hi James,

I'm rejecting the images because they contain data specific to your account. If you would like to discuss or share those details with the team please continue the conversation via Private Massage.

Many Thanks.

I was only doing as requested. Ridiculous 

Hi jamesredfern, thanks for the message. 

I am sorry to hear that there is an issue with the contractual price and this is not the experience which we want you to have with us. 

I will send you a private message so that this can be looked into further. 

Please look out for the purple envelope 

Chris. 

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi James, thanks for PMing us and we are glad to see that this is on the way to becoming resolved. 

Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Chris.