Menu
Rita_Maragh
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Lied to at renewal

My media contract was past its renewal date and I called to switch to a Sky TV package.  The person in cancellations walked me through my package and gave me an offer to stay 

* 3rd June - deal negotiated to reduce my speed slightly on the broadband. Cancel kids channels as I already pay for Disney+. Send me a new TV remote and a software upgrade for my V6 box to 360software. Retain my mobile sim with more data. Provide me a signal booster as my WiFi is weak upstairs.  The lady applied a discount for the booster and the sim was £2 more so my price is pretty much the same with some compromises to my service in exchange for the WiFi signal booster. I was told tv360 supports Disney + app and that my new voice control remote would come in 2 days. The WiFi booster in 2-3 in a separate box.

* 5th June - call to advise the remote has arrived and I’ve done the update but Disney+ isn’t there. Only to be told the Disney+ deal isn’t struck yet so the app isn’t on your boxes as yet!  (First lie)

*17th June - call to check the whereabouts of my WiFi booster. Can they track it ?  The gentleman in your customer service call centre rudely advises my husband we wouldn’t get a booster for free on our package and we’d have to pay £5 a month for it.  I advised him to check the notes on my file, apparently the booster isn’t mentioned. I asked him to get his manager to check the call recording and speak with me. Placed on hold for 10 minutes to be told “the manager isn’t available”.   He was bluntly adamant I was lying and we aren’t entitled to this booster.

I also report that my v6 box is freezing every time we watch a recording. He claims it’s a known fault in the last 24 hours that will be fixed at 2125 hrs. Tells me I’ll get a managers call back in 4-24 hours and hangs up. I’ve had this issue of freezing images for the last week. It’s not a 24 hour bug !

Your retentions team need to keep better notes and your customer service team need training how to handle customers. Implying they are liars and asking for money I’ve already paid is no way to do business. I expect this to be fixed urgently or I’ll take you to the ombudsman for mis-sold services.  Good day.

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Lied to at renewal

Two things stand out from this for me.

Claims that DIsney+ is available on VM. I'm sure it's high on VM's list to get this on the V6 & 360 platforms, but if any CS agent told you it's available now, that's clearly incorrect. But on the other hand, you've not lost anything - none of VM's boxes have this.

@Rita_Maragh wrote:

I also report that my v6 box is freezing every time we watch a recording. He claims it’s a known fault in the last 24 hours that will be fixed at 2125 hrs. Tells me I’ll get a managers call back in 4-24 hours and hangs up. I’ve had this issue of freezing images for the last week. It’s not a 24 hour bug !

Possibly a hard drive fault, but certainly a box fault. Ideally you'd post this in the V6 section and the staff team will pick it up as a fault. They should pick it up from here, if it's still ongoing?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Rita_Maragh
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jappits

I’ll consider posting the box freeze separately in the other channel as you suggest.

You say I haven’t lost entering with the lack of Disney plus - but it does work on Sky TV and it’s the convenience of having it all on one screen. It was a sales promise to get me to sign up for 18 months and it was a lie. It’s immoral.

many thanks 

0 Kudos
japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Having re-read your post, I now see your point. You were considering a switch to Sky based partly on the Disney+ app, but were "retained" by the promise of this being available on 360. That now makes sense.

If you're still within the 14day period following this renegotiation, then you're in a strong position to cancel the new contract under the cooling-off period and proceed to Sky - if you so wish. If it's been >14days or this doesn't suit you for whatever reason, then you would likely be deemed to have accepted the current situation and now be under contract for 18months.

There's been several internet articles all suggesting that VM are in discussions with Disney for the app - but this could lead to it being available next week just as much as it could be 6 months time yet. And the nature of the beast is that no-one is likely to know until when it is actually live.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Rita_Maragh
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again

If pressed I could live without Disney plus for now and buy a NowTv stick or similar to have the app. It would cost me £15-30 but it’s the principle.

The WiFi booster however must come from Virgin. I’ve tried various varieties from PC world etc and they work for a day, unsync and are generally unreliable. I’m hoping Virgins own hardware works better together. This is why I requested it as part of my retention package.  My contract expires July 2nd. This deal was to replace my existing contract which hasn’t yet finished. If they have lied then I can cancel without quibble and I’ll absolutely complain to the ombudsman for their mis selling

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rita_Maragh, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm really sorry to hear that your experience with our retentions team hasn't been the greatest. 

As mentioned above, we don't have the Disney+ app on our platform. If and when this comes, we can certainly let you know. 

In terms of the boosters, we no longer provide these. We have WiFi pods but due to stock levels, these are only being given to those customers who network is having issues. In order to get one you would need to go through diagnostics with the faults team. If our checks show that there are no coverage issues then you wouldn't be able to have one just yet. It's also worth noting that unless you are on the Ultimate Oomph or 1Gig service then they are chargeable at £5 per month. 

In terms of the fault you are experiencing, taking a look at things here, the signal levels are looking good as is the hard drive. There is no longer any fault affecting you so please reboot the box and let see how future recordings are. Lwt us know how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Rita_Maragh
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath

Many thanks for your reply.

Whilst I appreciate your efforts you’ve just done exactly what the gent in the call centre did.  I understand the new policy. But when I came to renew my contract only 2 weeks ago for the next 18 months i mentioned signal issues upstairs with your hub. My package price was moved around and a discretionary discount applied so that my new plan going forward would include some hardware to help with my WiFi signal.  This may have been a pod or a booster - but I was promised 2 weeks ago it was on the way.

I asked if it would be in the same box as my new remote and was told it would be separate and takes 2-3 days to deliver. All I’ve done is call to check where it is and now you make the second person from your company to tell me I’d have to pay £5 a month for it. I already am paying for it based on the package negotiated with your retentions team.

Please encourage your team to do their due diligence and listen to the call recording which was around June 3rd when I called to leave. Then I was convinced to stay with provision of one of these pods in my new package. 

Happy to provide more account details by private message if you can’t find me from my email address and name.

Thanks

Rita

0 Kudos
Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rita,

Thanks for coming back to me on this one.

As it stands, the checks here are showing that a WiFi pod isn't something that will help so due to stock levels we can't send one out. Once the stock levels improve, we will be able to get this sent out for you. Currently we don't have news on when this will be though.

Checking the broadband side of things, our checks are showing that the connection is suffering from a period of network instability. Please make sure you check that the coax cables are connected securely to the Hub, any splitters (standard and powered) and to the wall socket.

You may also benefit from separating the WiFi bands to help improve things. To do this complete the following: 

•    Access your Hub by navigating to 192.168.0.1
•    Login with the default login info (on base of Hub) unless you've already updated it.
•    Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Security
•    Under Wireless Frequency 2.4GHz change the Wifi Network Name (SSID) and the Wifi password (network key).
•    Repeat for the Wireless Frequency 5GHz and click on Apply changes.*
*    Make sure that both frequencies are named differently and are still identifiable
Once you have done this depending on your device connect to the 2.4 or 5GHz band which suits it better. This should help improve things for you while you're waiting for a WiFi pod. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

These "didn't get the deal I agreed" situations happen from time to time.  However, your legal rights are crystal clear - information provided by a company verbally or written is binding if the consumer relies upon it when entering a contract (Consumer Rights Act 2015), so VM have to honour whatever was promised, whether they like it or not.  Question is, what outcome do you want?  Release from the new contract?  Additional compensation?

If you want one of those outcomes, you need to raise a formal complaint (either in writing by recorded post, or using the online form in My Virgin Media), reject the deal the company have implemented, and demanding that as per your legal rights the company honour what was promised, and pointing out that if the company can't honour its agreement you will escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS as soon as permitted by the rules.  In the meanwhile, don't do anything daft like stopping your direct debit, that'll be recorded as a credit default, and opens up whole new realms of difficulty for you.  Don't worry if VM contact you claiming that they couldn't get hold of you, so will close the complaint if they don't hear to the contrary, or if they reject, lose or fob off the complaint, this doesn't stop you being able to take the matter further.

If VM still won't honour the contract despite the complaint, then you follow the process and escalate to the industry arbitration scheme no sooner than eight weeks after your initial complaint was received by VM (or earlier if VM issue a "deadlock letter").  Explain the background and request that VM be required to give you the outcome you want. CISAS have your case investigated and impartially heard by expert dispute resolution staff.  From published data, the majority of complaints escalated to CISAS, either the company immediately concedes, compromises, or loses at the end of arbitration.  Sadly that's not quick, and VM have up to eight weeks to resolve the complaint before you can go to CISAS, on the other hand your legal rights are very clear.

Ideally the forum staff can get this resolved quicker and without the formality.

0 Kudos