Menu
smithersis30
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Leaving - external cables

Hi

I will soon be leaving Virginmedia for a variety of reasons but have a question about the external cabling around my property. 

My hub and tivo box are in separate rooms. There is a long external cable from the external box at the front of my property around to where it enters the house and connects to the tivo box. This will be redundant once I have switched. The cable from the road to the front of my house will obviously remain but can I remove the long cable and also any internal cabling?

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Leaving - external cables

VM have been asked on a number occasions how they wish to handle requests like these, and there has been no consistent company position, and some conflicting company statements.  In this ambiguous situation I'll try and offer some sensible and constructive advice.  Since VM have no enduring wayleave (legal right to run cables or pipes), you can certainly remove them, though because they're VM's property the company should in theory be offered any removed cables and kit back, even though they won't want them.  A couple of thoughts:

1) Simply clipping the coax (or indeed folding or crimping the cable) will potentially cause noise ingress and network problems for other users locally, so whilst it is an option, you'd need to balance the quick but brutal DIY option against any sense of social responsibility you might have, and whether you hate your neighbours!  In this worst case scenario, VM can resolve the issue simply by disconnecting the junction at the edge of the pavement, but it might take them a long while to work out the cause and solution.

2) For much of the next decade VM will remain the only widespread gigabit capable ISP.  Having a gigabit ISP option is a potential selling point if you move.  Think carefully before causing too much damage, even if you're not leaving on positive terms with VM.  Personally, I'd suggest you use the formal complaint route (online form in My Virgin Media) asking for any excess cabling to be removed and the connection properly capped at VM's expense, but if at all possible I'd let them keep the brown omnibox on the outside wall and cabling from that to the main network, because that makes reconnection easier at some future date.  If your new ISP doesn't perform as you want, it might even be you wanting to reconnect.  Bear in mind that if VM remove excess cable, they won't be reinstating holes or interior decor.

If you try that second option, and the company piffle about and won't do it, then you know you've tried, and the answer then is perhaps a pair of diagonal cutters.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Afternoon @smithersis30

Welcome back to our Community; sorry to understand that you're looking to leave us shortly.

As a general rule, we would not come out to remove any cabling from inside or outside your home when you leave us. It would remain in situ encase you decide to re-join us or if you move home and the new tenants wish to sign up.

Removing or making any changes to the cabling yourself could impact other users as our VIP has advised.

In extreme circumstances, we can speak with the Area Manager to see if this would be possible; however, currently we are not doing any non-essential works due to the pandemic.

Thanks

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

smithersis30
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you both for responding. My intention is to remove internal cabling at this point but always leave the cable from the roadside junction to the house; as you said we may wish to  rejoin at a later date. I will enquire when I call later to cancel and see what the response is.

0 Kudos
Katie_WT
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for popping back @smithersis30

May I ask why you are thinking of leaving? Is there anything that we can assist you with at all? 

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos