Menu
Brickwall2020
Dialled in
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Leaving Virgin Media - Harder than Escaping Alcatraz

Having been a VM customer since they launched, I became increasingly frustrated with the difficulty in contacting customer services.  I was unable to change my package via my online account and getting through to customer services was virtually impossible (even pre-Covid).  

Consequently, I decided to close my account.  I wrote to VM (by recorded delivery) a month ago, giving them notice to close my account in 30 days time.  I have received no acknowledgment from them that they have closed my account and my online account does not reflect any closure.  My switch to BT went okay.  My new BT phone number is confirmed as being the same as my old VM number, but I can only make landline telephone calls, not receive them.  BT assure me my number has ported from VM to BT, but I have my doubts VM have released the number correctly.

How do I confirm with VM that they have received my instruction to close the account and have ported my landline number?  I have already submitted a complaint to them, but received no acknowledgment or reply.  My next step is to open a formal complaint via CISAS (the Ofcom arbitrator).

I do not know how Virgin Media are allowed to operate as a major broadband and landline provider, when customers are effectively blocked from contacting them.  At least you can generally get through to other major providers (Today I was able to contact a BT customer services assistant immediately) and they allow you to switch providers online, without having to contact your old provider.  Virgin Media are worse than a Mafia racket.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Leaving Virgin Media - Harder than Escaping Alcatraz

have you ever Escaped Alcatraz
0 Kudos
spgray
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

don't start multiple threads about the same nonsense.

-----------------------------------------------------------

My Broadband Ping - spgray

0 Kudos
Brickwall2020
Dialled in
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps someone here would be kind enough to explain why there is no online facility for closing a Virgin Media account?  At least with other service providers, the switching process allows you to leave your current provider by simply opening an account with another provider.  Your new provider informs your old one.  Your old one sends you an email saying how sorry they are you’re going and that’s it. Why do Virgin Mafia not subscribe to this process and why do they make it so difficult for you to leave them? 

0 Kudos
goslow
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Understand your predicament of lame VM comm's but you seem to have multiple threads/posts open on this (which, in fact, probably reduces your chances of a meaningful reply from VM).

If you are seeking confirmation that you have actually 'left' VM then you have probably had your best answer here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/How-do-I-leave-September-2020/m-p/4...

from @newapollo with the phone options and the suggestion to ring early at 08:00 for the best chance of getting through to UK 'retentions' to discuss your former account.

If you escalate to CISAS then VM will not deal with you direct until the case is resolved and that can seemingly be a lengthy process so probably better to try to complete/confirm your exit from VM direct by phone and then move on.

0 Kudos
Ernie_C
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@Brickwall2020 

You are simply wrong.

You can’t just join another provider and have them cancel your existing contract.

What you can do is ask the new supplier to port your landline number.

If you do this, they can cancel your landline with your existing supplier.

With all other suppliers, this leads to your broadband being cancelled but this is not the case with Virgin Media as their broadband is not dependent on the BT Openreach network.

No supplier can cancel your TV with another supplier.

In short, starting a new contract with a new supplier when you are a Virgin Media customer can only cancel the landline and only if you ask to port your number.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Brickwall2020
Dialled in
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@Ernie_C

Thank you for your reply.  I am ‘out of contract’ with VM and I am not subscribed to their TV services.  I was referring to broadband and landline services.  If I want to switch from, say, BT broadband to Sky broadband, I go online and subscribe to Sky broadband.  Having arranged a switchover date, Sky will inform BT that I am leaving them and the rest happens pretty much automatically.  It is the same with all the major providers - except Virgin Media.  If I want to leave VM, they will not accept being informed by my new service provider and I am obliged to (try and) contact them to cancel my services.  I’m not sure how having a TV package changes things, but I’m still on terrestrial TV and Freeview, so it does not really matter to me.

0 Kudos
Brickwall2020
Dialled in
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

@goslow

Thank you for your reply.  I will certainly take on board your suggestions.  While I am genuinely seeking answers, I am also keen to highlight the ineptitude of this racket, hence my creating more than one thread on the issue. 

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Hi Brickwall2020,

AS Ernie_C advised,

What you can do is ask the new supplier to port your landline number.

If you do this, they can cancel your landline with your existing supplier.

With all other suppliers, this leads to your broadband being cancelled but this is not the case with Virgin Media as their broadband is not dependent on the BT Openreach network.

So you need to either port your number to your new provider, and also cancel the broadband seperately

Or if not wanting to keep your landline number you contact VM and cancel both phone and broadband  by giving 30 days notice..

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
Brickwall2020
Dialled in
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I finally got to speak with someone by phone over the weekend.  He asked me why I was leaving and I explained it was due to the awful difficulty I have experienced getting any changes done with my Virgin Media account.  He said VM have one of the biggest customer service setups of the big providers and "There is a pandemic on".  I pointed out that the last time I tried to make a change to my account, 18 months ago, I had to wait on hold for 45 minutes after numerous attempts to get through.  He told me the account would be closed with immediate effect and the number ported.  When I asked why the closure would not be back-dated to the closure date I requested in my letter of 10 August, he said, "We don't accept account closures by letter".  He said I will be 'double billed' (by my new provider and VM for the next month).  I decided to save that argument for another day (likely a CISAS complaint).  

Anyway, after all that, I have still received no written acknowledgement of my account closure - no email and nothing on my account pages.  That is why I was reluctant to communicate by phone (apart from the difficulty of actually getting to talk to someone).  At least with a letter or online chat (which I have tried 6 times without success) you can keep a written audit trail of what was said.  Am I supposed to sit and wait, hoping Virgin Mafia will close my account?  I suspect the customer service adviser I spoke to has not actioned the account closure (as he will have 'lost' a customer).

I am 83.  Luckily I still have plenty of fight in me, but I pity those who are less able than me.  How on earth do they cope, having to deal with a racket of a company like Virgin Mafia?  

0 Kudos