Menu
syousif170968
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

LEAVING VIRGIN MEDIA FORGOTTON SECURITY WORD

I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO SUBMIT A NOTICE TO CANCEL MY CONTRACT ON EXPIERY DATE 

ITS BECOME A NIGHTMARE BEING ABLE TO GET THRU TO ANYONE AS WE HAVE FORGOTTON PASSWORD

OUR ACCOUNT NO [MOD EDIT: PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED]

WE HAVE RAISED A COMPLAINT VIA THEIR WEBSITE ON 19/01/2021 AND TO DATE NO RESPONSE INSTEAD AN EMAIL RECIEVED TODAY THAT WE ARE IN A NEW CONTRACT WITH THEM YET WE DID NOT ASKED FOR A NEW CONTRACT 

TODAY WE HAVE CANCELLED DD

VM IS ABSOLUTELY NIGHTMARE WHEN IT COMES TO LEAVING THEM HENCE WE DECIDED TO CANCEL DD 

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
LondonLife
Joining in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: LEAVING VIRGIN MEDIA FORGOTTON SECURITY WORD

Hello

You have my sympathies, VM are a complete pain for getting in touch with/discussion re account.

I am looking to negotiate a new contract before our monthly bill shoots up in a few days but completely unable to discuss with anyone.

Last resort is to cancel the DD in the hope that this elicits a response, but not quite a that point yet!

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

cancelling the DD will get the follow response.

Suspended service, Debt, Black mark on your credit file, Possible debt collectors when the debt is sold to a dent collection agency

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Cancelling the direct debit will provide plenty of work for the debt collection industry, just what we need at the moment as unemployment rises and people are looking for jobs.

If you do as you intend VM will treat non-payment as breach of contract, which it certainly is, and will default your account, add late payment fees and pass your contract to VM collections who will, in due course, pass it to the debt collectors for action. In addition a six year addition to your credit record as a defaulter will scupper any future chances you ever had of further credit.

VM lines are busy at the moment, but you can through if you try, and early in the morning when they open is best. 8am weekdays and 9am tomorrow.

But for cancellations you can write:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/cancellation/m-p/4593541#M147624

That thread will help.

As for forgetting your telephone memorable word, it is most likely to be your mother's maiden name. That's the first question on the list. However you don't need it. After getting through don't enter any characters at the prompt. The phone system should redirect you to an agent for alternative security clearance.

Now I have no real interest in what you do, but don't say ever that you haven't received clear and unambiguous advice here on the consequences of taking such ill-advised action. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Spellsinger
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

For this very reason I have always refused the option of a security word. This does mean that you always need to go through multiple security-questions, at least they are questions you have the answer for.

I don't know how V.M. would respond if anyone said they wanted to remove their security-word?

As an aside - I'm still anticipating the tribulations of cancelling, I've just ordered my new ISP - the new ISP's C.S. advisor found out I was with Virgin (he'd heard of problems cancelling) and immediately offered me 50% off their installation as commiseration!

I guess Virgin's publicity reaches far and wide.  

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

LOL
if your new ISP could offer £50 off they were charging too much in the first place 😉

0 Kudos
jamesofmerton
Super solver
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

'In addition a six year addition to your credit record as a defaulter will scupper any future chances you ever had of further credit'

and we see the fall out continually on here months or years later with failed mortgages, loans, mobile phone contracts etc. i see it elsewhere too. mse, bt forum, sky forum etc.

as we know, all people need to do is follow the complaints procedure. then if no joy go to the ombudsman. from previous working life experience, ombudsman frown on those who refuse to pay/cancel direct debits. any overpayment the customer has made/inconvenience would be rectified if the ombudsman rules in their favour.

0 Kudos
Spellsinger
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

"LOL
if your new ISP could offer £50 off they were charging too much in the first place"

50 per cent ...
0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Brain Fart 🙂

syousif170968
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

it seems they also read messages here, someone did call today and she was very helpful, she bypassed security word which could have done by other staff who refused to proceed without security word. In Short manage to cancel the contract and nightmare is over - Please note its virtually impossible to contact VM during this Covid period. we tried 150, their website chat, emails kept being returned even this number she called us today was a London number but if call is missed one can not call them back as calls get cut off

0 Kudos