Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Keeping number and email address...

I am wanting to close Virgin Media account/package in my wife’s name and open a new one in my name, if I was to do this could I carry the landline number and email address to the new account/package?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Keeping number and email address...

Think logically. You want to be a new customer with the benefits that gives, yet maintain your phone number and email addresses?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, sort of what I was thinking, is there not a way of porting numbers and addresses like you can do with a mobile? I can get the same package as a new customer, in fact a better package, for half the price I am currently paying.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You will lose both your phone number and email addresses.You would have three months to use your email addresses before they were deleted.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Is there any situation where an email address can be kept? I’ve had the address for over 20 years and there are a lot accounts and services tied to it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Only by keeping your existing account open.

You should take this opportunity to get yourself an email address which is independent of ISP, such as gmail.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I know, but can you imagine how many things I have linked to an email address I have had for over 20years. I guess I’ll just have to call them, if I can ever get through, on hold for a long time today! and see what kind of deal they can offer even though I’m sure they won’t be able to get anywhere near half the current price I know I can get.

Thanks for you help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community elder
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Daveh73 wrote:

Yeah, sort of what I was thinking, is there not a way of porting numbers and addresses like you can do with a mobile? I can get the same package as a new customer, in fact a better package, for half the price I am currently paying.

Strictly speaking you are not currently a paying customer, your wife is.

I believe that, under certain circumstances, an email address can be moved to another account providing DPA can be cleared, but probably/hopefully not when you are just trying to "game the system" for your own financial benefit.

In any event, Virgin Media must take into consideration the potential dangers of transferring an existing email account to a different person. The likelihood of breaching GDPR and DPA regulations, I would suggest, are extremely high should VM contemplate doing such a thing.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I get it when you put it like that, it’s just a shame you have to think about “gaming the system”, you would like to think that you wouldn’t have to, as a very loyal customer, I think the @ntlworld.com domain in the address I am trying to keep hold of gives away how loyal I have been to Virgin Media, you would like to think that they would appreciate that. I currently pay £90 for my package but as a new customer I could get a slightly better package for £45! I know exactly why they do this but it’s just frustrating to know I am paying twice as much as I could do. 

0 Kudos