cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping Broadband Only Question

ewhitey
Superfast

Hi

I was looking for best advice for how to retain our Internet but ditch the TV, landline and mobile. Basically have a better package elsewhere but would like to keep our Gigabit BB as we're happy with that. We are presently out of yearly contract and now in a monthly rolling contract.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance  😉

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM might give you a price for 1 Gbps broadband only. But it might be a ridiculous price you won't want to accept. They might offer you a bundle of services at a more competitive price or they may offer you something else or nothing at all.

Do all of your calculations in advance of making contact though so you have a good idea where your budget and alternative package prices are in comparison to whatever VM offers when you contact them. VM offers are 'of the moment' you will probably need to decide there and then whether to accept or not.

If VM won't play ball, you may have to cancel everything and hold out for the possibility of a call back from VM 'retentions'. Or you may have to cancel and go elsewhere. When/if you returned to VM you would be a 'new' customer and get new customer pricing.

You'll only find out by making contact with VM and telling them what you want to do.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM might give you a price for 1 Gbps broadband only. But it might be a ridiculous price you won't want to accept. They might offer you a bundle of services at a more competitive price or they may offer you something else or nothing at all.

Do all of your calculations in advance of making contact though so you have a good idea where your budget and alternative package prices are in comparison to whatever VM offers when you contact them. VM offers are 'of the moment' you will probably need to decide there and then whether to accept or not.

If VM won't play ball, you may have to cancel everything and hold out for the possibility of a call back from VM 'retentions'. Or you may have to cancel and go elsewhere. When/if you returned to VM you would be a 'new' customer and get new customer pricing.

You'll only find out by making contact with VM and telling them what you want to do.

Hi

Many thanks for your quick reply 😉

So can you give a ballpark for fibre only - the "new" customer deal is presently £31 for 6 mths then £51 thereafter in a 24 mth contract? 

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Well, you might (reasonably) expect it to be somewhere between £31 and £51 for an existing customer who is renewing. But VM aims to extract as much money as possible from each customer by haggling an individual price for each person and VM's agents are tasked to sell bundles of services by offering discounted package prices.

So my guess would be you will get a daft price for 1 Gbps broadband alone and a better price for some kind of bundle.

As stated earlier though, the only way you will find out will be to make contact and ask. Then compare with the stated pricing above alongside whatever your alternatives are.

If you are phoning, the usual advice is to ring first thing when the lines open and go via the 'thinking of leaving us' route (although you may want to factor in the BH w/e tomorrow when deciding to make the call).

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @ewhitey 

goslow has given great advice, but it's impossible to say what price you will be offered.

To be honest if you are fairly happy with the price quoted (or need to confirm it first with say your partner) then accept it as it probably won't be available again.  You can then take advantage of the 14 day distance selling window should you change your mind and wish to reject that offer. You would then go back to your original out of contract price,  and then have the option of either cancelling or renegotiating again at a later date.

Just for info, VM's  actual prices can vary on a day to day basis, and agent to agent basis. 

I don't, and haven't worked for VM, but have worked within call centres as a retentions agent, and suggest that all companies follow a similar format, in that individual agents are given "save targets" and can offer different deals than those offered by other agents on the same day.

I know it sounds odd, but agents are given a set amount of allowances to offer at varying price points.

If they have used up their quota of lowest prices for the day or week, then they couldn't offer say the Ultimate Volt bundle for £100, or gig1 package for £40, but if the next agent hadn't reached their quota then they would be able to offer that price point.  It's also possible that one of the retention teams may be "trialling" a price point not available to other teams.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @ewhitey thanks for your post here in the Community, we hope you're well.

We would advise for advice on any package changes, including the one you're referring to here to please get in touch with our Customer Services team directly on 150 / 0345 454 1111 and they'll be happy to advise further for you.

They can look into the best possible packages available and work with you to get the most suitable package.

We hope this helps!
Many thanks

Tom_W

ewhitey
Superfast

Hi all

Appreciate all your help peeps - i'll give them a call tomorrow 😉