Menu
slfricky
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Just Got Bundle Unintentionally Upgraded. Can I revert To Old Bundle Without A Charge?

I've been with Virgin for years, going back to an account with NTL. I've had a broadband only account long enough that I've been out of contract for years too. Earlier in the week I got a call from VM and was told that because I've been with them so long, they were going to upgrade my broadband speed from M100 to M200 and that I'd be exempt from price increases for 18 months. Also once I agreed to that, they said they'd give me a phone service and a V6 tv box too. From the way this was explained, it sounded to me that I was still on the same bundle and rolling contract I've always been on, but I was getting some extra stuff added for no extra charge and that basically I wasn't going to be subjected to the periodic price increases that happens with the service sometimes. 
However to be sure I did ask the guy on the phone if I was still on the same contract with this or if I was moving up a "tier". He didn't seem to get the question at first so I reworded it and he seemed to understand and confirm I was still on the same package. 
Now I've checked my contract on the site and it says I'm on a new contract for 18 months at £48.45 a month (a few quid more than I was paying, not too big a deal), then up to £71.45 after that. While it's annoying that I feel like I might have been misled into this, the price isn't the issue, it's the fact that I seem to be on a mandatory 18 month contract and with everything that's going on, I'm worried that I might need to cancel the service in the next 18 months for financial reasons and I don't want to have to pay the early disconnection fee, so I was wondering if I can revert back to the rolling contract I was on just up till now? The new contract started today and I received the V6 box, but I haven't installed it. I know there's a 14 day "cooling off" period that legally allows me to cancel a service without a charge, but I don't want to leave VM if I don't have to, so is it possible to just undo this upgrade like it never happened?

Edit: I feel daft I got into this, but like I said, I did ask questions to confirm the deal was what I thought it sounded like and it seemed so.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Just Got Bundle Unintentionally Upgraded. Can I revert To Old Bundle Without A Charge?

The 14 day cooling off period should only cancel the new contract not your service, so you should be back on your previous "standard rate" price, speed and any bundle.  Assuming that VM don't muck it up.  Sadly you'll need to phone them up to sort this out.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

slfricky
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Just Got Bundle Unintentionally Upgraded. Can I revert To Old Bundle Without A Charge?

Thanks, phoned up today and seemed to settle it fairly easily, though I'll check up on the account to make sure it goes through.