cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it right that I have to give 30 days notice to cancel even when out of contract?

crazyjeyesy
On our wavelength

This is ridiculous. The email I got when I passed my first year contract end (and went onto a higher tariff) says, "If you decide to switch, you’ll need to give us 30 days’ notice by calling 0345 454 1111, but if you cancel after your contract ends on 01/06/2021 you won’t have any early termination fees to pay."

That to me looks like nothing to pay... but I'm still having to pay a fee because I'm not giving 30 days notice (so I guess it's not an early termination fee as I'm not in contract - clever bit of wording there Virgin).

In the small print of the email there is nothing about 30 days notice and a fee if not, so I feel like I've been conned. How on earth can Virgin get away with this? For all the shoddy broadband I've had in recent times, Virgin should be COMPENSATING me, not charging extra when I leave.

52 REPLIES 52

To be honest, OFCOM actually is a fairly toothless thing!

It's probably a little unfair to attribute to Nathan_B a feeling of invincible Virgin Media Ltd deification. However Ofcom are having a nose in to VM's dodgy cancellation practices (although they are also investigating GB News (for lots of different reasons) and they don't appear to be overly troubled). 

I'm not a Very Insightful Person (just a little bit, sometimes). I don't work for Virgin Media (but then nor do any of the offshore customer service agents).

I believe Hub 3 in modem mode cuts your bandwidth in half or so, a half baked modem, tested with speedtest. Or there are some secret settings to tweak it to full band.