cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it right that I have to give 30 days notice to cancel even when out of contract?

crazyjeyesy
On our wavelength

This is ridiculous. The email I got when I passed my first year contract end (and went onto a higher tariff) says, "If you decide to switch, you’ll need to give us 30 days’ notice by calling 0345 454 1111, but if you cancel after your contract ends on 01/06/2021 you won’t have any early termination fees to pay."

That to me looks like nothing to pay... but I'm still having to pay a fee because I'm not giving 30 days notice (so I guess it's not an early termination fee as I'm not in contract - clever bit of wording there Virgin).

In the small print of the email there is nothing about 30 days notice and a fee if not, so I feel like I've been conned. How on earth can Virgin get away with this? For all the shoddy broadband I've had in recent times, Virgin should be COMPENSATING me, not charging extra when I leave.

52 REPLIES 52

@shicky wrote:

Hi Steven,

what happens if I sign up for a new deal with you?  That can start after my last day and I won't end up on a rolling deal?  How about if my wife takes over the line/deal, I'm assuming that wouldn't work as it'll break my 30 day notice?

Ah yes; well no, that won't work. The contract between a customer and VM is fairly simple, they provide a certain service to a particular address and in return I agree to pay VM a sum of £x per month for, well basically forever, but as an incentive this amount is reduced to £y for the first 18 months. In return, I agree to not leave within 18 months and if I do then I agree to pay VM the sum of £(exorbitant)! Don't like that; think it's not fair? OK then, simply don't ever, ever sign to VM and try another supplier - hint, they mostly have similar arrangements.

Your wife cannot under any circumstances (OK not entirely true in the event of a bereavement it can, which I assume isn't an option here) take over an account.

So you, as an individual need to legally terminate your contract with VM, provide the required 30 days notice, return all of the equipment etc. Meanwhile your wife signs up, undergoes all of the required credit checks against her as an individual etc. etc. There will probably be a gap in the switchover while she is sent new hubs etc and they are properly activated - don't have any VM-branded email addresses do you, because they are toast!

thank you, I understand my wife taking the line won't work very well.

It seems my only option is to find a new deal with the retentions team and remain with virgin, unless I'm misunderstanding that this would avoid a bunch of days paying double the normal fee?

Hi shicky,

If you do speak to the team, they'll do an account review to ensure you're paying the best possible price for the service requested. 

The only way any notice would need to be given on that is if any downgrade were to happen.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

when someone is out of contract 30 day period cancellation notice is Illegal. There is no way virgin should be forcing anyone to pay them for another 30 days. They make it out they are doing you a favor, they are conning me and even though i downgraded to a cheaper contract when i completed my previous one. They have sent me a bill for the previous contract at full price. I feel entrapped by them and with all these energy costs when i am struggling to pay for food and heating they are trying to make me pay for something i have decided not to have.

Honestly what a joke, i downgraded only so that i don't have to serve 30 days notice, so why all this is happening.

Online deals are so cheap, when i asked for one i got told they are for new customers only, existing customers cant have any cheap online deals and has to pay full price. So no better deals for existing customers.

we are relying on food banks etc so that we can feed our children while Virgin is committing a daytime robbery on us. Please help.

it might be standard but it is wrong and utterly unethical. This is the way Virgin is conning families who need money for essentials like food. if they can't afford it they shouldn't have to serve 30 days cancellation period especially when the contract has already lapsed.

why the only option available is phone call, i am a very nervous person and would just like to do it all online instead of talking to intimidating and threatening call center advisor.
Also why the hell new customer deals are way cheaper as compared to what crap you offer to existing customers.
then you rely on dodgy and shady contracts to keep people entrapped cos you know service that was provided during contract was really bad, internet connection was always down. never compensated the customer and now the contract is ending lets just rip them off even more cos you know they will never join virgin media ever again. Virgin media is such a fraud.

No point talking to the team.

There are cheap deals only to entrap new customers. 

Existing customers get no loyalty reward, in fact cheap deal are not available to existing customers.

Hey farazzafar129, thank you for reaching out and a warm welcome to the community I am sorry to see you are having a contact issues.

Unfortunately we do require a 30 day cancellation being put in if you are in contact or not.

You can find out more about our legal stuff here.

If you wish to give your 30 days’ notice you can do it  by just sending a text with a description of the cancellation to 07533 051809 this will go into a queue, or you can send a letter to Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

"Unfortunately we do require a 30 day cancellation being put in if you are in contact or not."

Errmm, forum staff might want to be more precise in their language, ANY customer receiving service is ALWAYS in a contract with VM.  All that varies is whether there's a minimum term element of the contract.  So for a new customer there's a big discount and an 18 month minimum term, but at the end of that minimum term the fixed term ends but all aspects of original contract still stand, and that requires 30 days notice.

So whilst farazzafar129 might think it unfair, it's what they agreed to in the first place, it's normal practice in any service industry, neither underhand, unfair, or unjustified, all proper and legal under UK contract and statute law I'm afraid.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/2022/10/10/virgin-media-is-breaching-customer-cancellation-regul...

How about this, when will virgin be forced to remove this nonsensical 30 day notice, stealing time and money from customers.