cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it right that I have to give 30 days notice to cancel even when out of contract?

crazyjeyesy
On our wavelength

This is ridiculous. The email I got when I passed my first year contract end (and went onto a higher tariff) says, "If you decide to switch, you’ll need to give us 30 days’ notice by calling 0345 454 1111, but if you cancel after your contract ends on 01/06/2021 you won’t have any early termination fees to pay."

That to me looks like nothing to pay... but I'm still having to pay a fee because I'm not giving 30 days notice (so I guess it's not an early termination fee as I'm not in contract - clever bit of wording there Virgin).

In the small print of the email there is nothing about 30 days notice and a fee if not, so I feel like I've been conned. How on earth can Virgin get away with this? For all the shoddy broadband I've had in recent times, Virgin should be COMPENSATING me, not charging extra when I leave.

52 REPLIES 52

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As I mentioned previously, a 30day notice period is extremely commonplace across the UK telecoms industry and I suspect you will struggle to find a provider that doesn't have one.

The only partial exception is if you're porting a mobile number using a PAC and the transfer takes roughly a day.

The T&Cs are available to view online, so I don't think anyone can sensibly claim ignorance of them.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I am making a different point entirely. I'm not disputing you, the title of this thread is "Is it right", so this is a discussion of morals. I know it's in the T&Cs but that doesn't mean we cant discuss these things in a moral/philosophical/technical sense.

What I'm asking is why does it take the telecoms industry 30 days to do a 30 second job. I want to discuss the logistics of this requirement, not legalities.

As explained, If a customer's contract ends on 25th October, the company should certainly be able to stop services if the customer calls even one day before. I cant see no technical or logistical reasons for not being able to do this with 1 days notice.

I am not asking whether VM is reserving the right to charge people for a month extra. I am asking if there is any other reason other than it being a cash cow. That's all. And since I haven't seen any other explanation, it probably is because it's a cash cow.

I for one would rather have the ability to cancel with 1 day notice than 30, its better for the consumer. And if enough people want it, it is VERY doable. I don't understand why any customer would be happy with 30 days notice when you can petition and have 1 day notice.

Give any customer the choice of being able to cancel with 1 day notice, or be forced to give 30 days notice, most people would choose to have a contract with 1 day cancellation notice. Wouldn't you

'why does it take the telecoms industry 30 days to do a 30 second job'

it allows for continued service and that plenty of customers change their mind.

the 30 day requirement has been in place across the industry for as long as i can remember. few complain about.

move on.

However, when I told them I was leaving the property the service stopped immediately on that day (right on midnight actually), despite the fact I was paying for the rest of the month. So it doesn't allow for continued service and the customer changing their mind.

Also, if it takes 30 seconds to stop it and the customer changes their mind, surely it takes 30 seconds to turn it back on again?!

Asim is spot on. Unless some of you work for Virgin, or another supplier, I don't know why you're defending this ridiculous practice and telling people to "move on". Just because it's standard across the industry doesn't mean it's right and we should put up with it!

Well said Asim. I don't know why people keep quoting the Ts & Cs when

A) they've already been quoted several times in the thread already, and

B) we know them, that's not the point we're making.

Simply put virgin media are thieves and they manipulate customers with this 30 day notification with no end, more than doubling the monthly price at the end of contract while offering much lower monthly price for 'new customers' for the same thing. Then they send bailiffs to extract extra profits if customer refuses to pay. Why there is no rigid regulation from toothless ofcom regarding this thieving practice?

Hi @hasinalondon,

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

I'm so sorry to hear that you feel this way. When your minimum contract term expires, any discounts you have will also expire which is why you're likely to see your package price rise at this time.

At this stage we'd recommend contacting our retentions department to discuss new package options, and you can get a hold of them on 0345 454 1111 (or 150 from a Virgin Media landline). We have plenty offers available for both existing customers and new customers.

If you can expand on your situation and how we can help, we can go from there in assisting you and addressing your concerns.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

shicky
Tuning in

Just discovered this scam, got an email one week before end date, horrible practice.

When your contract changes (as technically it does with a rolling contract) can you not cancel within the first 14 days free of charge?  I refuse to pay double the price I should.

Hey @shicky,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.

It is correct that you do have to give 30 days notice to disconnect your services, this is detailed in the contract that you agreed with us, when you signed up. The end date to your contract is also shown on your online account. 

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steven,

what happens if I sign up for a new deal with you?  That can start after my last day and I won't end up on a rolling deal?  How about if my wife takes over the line/deal, I'm assuming that wouldn't work as it'll break my 30 day notice?