Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Increasing Costs and Hard to Understand Customer Services Agents

I am new to this forum but I wondered how many other people out there are in the same situation, limited income, reliant on Virgin communication services but shocked by the constant price increases?

I have been out of work for 3 months and when I contacted customer services today I had what seemed to be a totally worthless conversation with a non-English speaking employee. I explained my situation, was told there was nothing that could be done and that I can easily end my contract on the 24th February if that's what I wanted. What I really want is to be recognized as an existing long term customer and treated better.

I never use my landline and it just seems that this is tagged onto all packages (although Virgin claim it is cheaper to have the service than to not have it) not quite sure how that can be true!

I fail to see how new customers get a great price when signing up, but the existing customers get the brunt of the bill increases (mine is set to go from £68 to £78 in February).

I have basic broadband, one box in my lounge and a phone line that's never used but I seem to be costing Virgin more money?

If anyone else out there is facing similar issues I would luv to hear about it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Increasing Costs and Hard to Understand Customer Services Agents

if they put the price up outside of your contract you can cancel with no EDF.
phone lines don't really cost VM anything if you have the services then you have the cable needed installed. They give a discount for more services so often having the phone line makes the overall cost cheaper.

VM is one of the fastest widespread ISP but is not the cheapest. If cost is your deciding factor and not speed you will be better with some of the open reach providers

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The VM fora are full of posts from people wanting/expecting better deals - just search to find their experiences.
Basically you signed a 1 year contract that you will be expected to honour. It probably had a discount applied that is ending and in Feb you will have to pay the normal, full price, for the package you have.
If you want to change packages at that point then you need to contact "Retentions" and they will offer you the best deal they can for what you want. If it doesnt seem like good value to you then give your 30 day notice at the end of Jan and switch suppliers, from whom you will get a good new customer deal. Then in a years time the price will go up on that one and move again.
Its just how the market is set up to work.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Phone lines are a cost to VM as they have to pay for the wholesale costs of the line.

New sales are a discounted rate to attract new customers, you can't keep these rates forever as it doesn't fit the model. If this was the model then these prices would raise for everyone anyway.

As jbrennand said best to try and call retentions. Don't take the first no, push to disconnection and you will speak to someone who can usually help in the end.

For example I called earlier in the week for my sister. Due to go up to £141, first agent offered me £135 and "nothing else available" I requested to cancel and he then put me through to an agent who discounted without much effort to £92, only £10 more than she is paying now. Always push past the first agent.