Menu
orange808
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Impossible to upgrade to ultimate oomph deal

Hi, I originally just had virgin broadband for 2 months but a week ago I upgraded to ultimate oomph - or so I thought. Turns out I wasn't upgraded to sky cinema, faster broadband, or unlimited sim, just upgraded to sky sports hd, 200m speed and a 5gb sim for £88.

Ever since, I keep trying to upgrade to ultimate oomph via phone or live chat but I'm usually quoted £139, instead of £89. £139 should only be the price after 18 months.

Some offer sky cinema for an extra £11, some say their system is broken, some say ring the oomph team, some say the oomph team doesn't exist. It's very confusing and irritating, what can I do?

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Impossible to upgrade to ultimate oomph deal

Your not a new customer so you wont get the best deals, you only get those deals if your new or you haggle hard after your contract is up

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you actually agreed a deal to upgrade to Ultimate Oomph for £89 a month, then the company have to honour that at the agreed price, including the full bundle.  Information provided by a company verbally or written is binding if the consumer relies upon it when entering a contract (Consumer Rights Act 2015), so VM have to honour whatever the agent offered and you accepted, whether the company now like it or not.  There's no get outs or excuses like "the agent not was supposed to offer that".  This isn't the first time I've seen a complaint of VM selling a UO upgrade, and then trying to backtrack on price and/or bundle.  VM should have call or chat recordings to verify what was agreed, you may even have a confirmation email.

However, if you were not offered UO for £89, but something touted as "nearly as good" package for £88, then that may be VM's best offer - as you're an existing customer they aren't under any requirement to offer you new customer pricing, although anything that the agent said was included they have to honour.  If this applies then you do have a 14 day cooling off period to cancel that upgrade, and revert to whatever deal you had running before including the original end date, but sounds like you're halfway through that?  If the agent correctly explained the £88 deal, and you took it in a mistaken expectation of what was included, then act quickly to exercise those cooling off cancellation rights, otherwise you'll be locked into this £88 contract until January 2023.

I'll mark this for forum staff to advise. 

There are also routes to deal with this as formal complaint, and if need be taking the matter to the industry arbitration scheme, but that's all very slow, so I strongly suggest seeing what the forum staff can do for you first.  You would also need to be very clear that what you were offered and agreed to is materially different from what VM have put in place before starting down the complaint route, because "I don't like the deal you offered me", "The agent didn't say but I thought this deal included Sky Cinema", "Your in-contract upgrade offers aren't fair", or "I should be treated as a new customer" won't cut any mustard either with VM, or the industry arbitration scheme.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
orange808
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.

I have now been able to upgrade for £99 a month, which is still worth it although slightly disappointing.

Originally an engineer came to install the 2nd box but wasn't able to drill the right holes, I've just been told that they will have to come over in 2 weeks and try again (they wont be able to) before I can activate my new deal and get the extra channels and speed. Very strange since it's all ready to go! And I'll have to pay another £35 for this! Oh well.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi orange808

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

I am sorry to hear of the confusion around the deal. The reason for the wait would be a manned install for the 2nd box but apologies for this. Do you have the documentation for the offer at £88 was the full OOMPH bundle as well? If so, I'll be more than happy to help.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos