Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Impossible to register my Virgin Media Account

I have only a landline with Virgin and have never had an online Virgin Media account before. I have had my landline with Virgin for many years. Recently, when my current contract was coming to an end, I was invited via a letter to look at other phone packages. I decided to go from Talk Unlimited to Talk More Anytime for the same price a month.

I called Virgin to arrange this on 13th November. At the same time, I thought I would ask about e-billing rather than pay to get my phone bill through the post. I was reassured this was straightforward. I tried to set up an account with Virgin Media using my gmail account while the person on the end of the phone stayed on the line. However, it would not work. I said I would keep trying and would call back if I got no joy! 

I got nowhere and ended up calling back again the same morning. IIRC, during this call the person on the phone took my email address so she could try on my behalf. She said it was now set up but when I asked her how that could be since I'd not set up a password, she said, 'you use your email password'... I assume she meant 'Virgin' email password but as she would have known, since she took it from me over the phone, I gave her a gmail address! It's not like I have her an established Virgin email address which would have a password. I had no Virgin email at all so I have no idea at all what she meant.

I went to my welcome email that had just come and tried the 'register' link, putting in all the details required, my chosen (gmail address) choosing a password etc but  every single time (even trying a different password or security question / answer) I kept getting a page which said, 

Sorry!

We are not able to set up your my Virgin Media account or Web Safe settings at the moment. Please try again later, or you can also set up your my Virgin Media account and make your Web Safe settings at the time of installation. We are looking forward to connecting you to your superfast broadband.

I am not due any installation! And, a week on, any attempts at registering are throwing up the same message! At one point during this call back to Virgin, I told the same adviser NOT to cancel my paper bills until I could somehow access my Virgin Media account. She assured me I would continue to receive them!

I tried to set up a Virgin email for the sole purpose of trying to register to get into the Virgin Media account. I abandoned that when the exact same message - Sorry etc - appeared! 

Yesterday, an email came saying my bill - (the amount to be taken by dd is minus the usual amount for paper billing...so, obviously, that's been cancelled despite my explicitly asking that paper bills continue till this mess is sorted!) - was ready and to log in to see it. How?  I don't have a password... Maybe the person who sent me the email chose one for me...but didn't tell me! That's how it seems.

I thought perhaps I should try to register again... No, more than a week on, I get the same message -Sorry etc - as before! It's also nothing to do with any 'installation' as I'm having nothing installed, I merely changed my phone package. I am now in a position where I cannot view my bill online and won't get a paper bill (seeing as the usual charge for that has been deducted from the dd!) So, despite my explicit instruction and the adviser's reassurances, paper bills appear to have been cancelled!

I can see, looking at other messages stretching back a year and a half ago, that this is a problem many have experienced before and yet nothing seems to be done to rectify it! I just want to be able to access something whereby I can see my bill! 

To add to matters, when I initially called Virgin, I had long-since forgotten my password (the one requested when you call by phone) as I've had no reason to call in years. As directed, I came up with a new one, gave it to the adviser, and made a note of it myself. When I called Virgin back an hour or more later, I was asked for the password, gave it and was told it didn't match! I knew it was right since I'd only just made it up and written it down. So followed a stream of security questions as an alternative!

For a company that deals in communication and media, it's baffling that account set-up/ registration/ access to my information online etc, should be anything less than seamless! This is all very frustrating and taking up too much time and energy! 

Please, can someone sort this out for me? I don't want to call Virgin, ideally, as I got nowhere last time, which is why I asked for the paper bills to continue. They don't seem to be able to help!  

Someone experiencing the same issue on a thread from last September said Paul_DN might be able to help. 

Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Impossible to register my Virgin Media Account

Hi MS07,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry to hear you haven't been able to set up an online account.

So I can help further I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Impossible to register my Virgin Media Account

Hello Paul,

Thank you. I replied to you and gave you the details you asked for (account holder's name, Virgin account number, email, amount for last bill, sort code etc...some of that as an alternative to a memorable word).  I provided the info but you came back a second time minutes later and asked for the account holder name again, and digits from the memorable word (which I gave you, despite saying that the adviser said did not match).

It's not too long ago since you wrote asking for this stuff, but I'm concerned at being asked for my name twice, and I'm concerned about what is safe to disclose on here. 

0 Kudos