Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Impossible to get Billing Issues and Cancellation Addressed

The below is a copy of an e-mail I sent to the Virgin Media Chief Executive Offer Luts Schueler AND Virgin Media Director of Customer Service Karen Walker on April 28th as a last resort after the Customer Service and Complaints departments have been unable to resolve my issue.

I have received a response from neither and am posting here for the record in the case that Virgin Media attempts to destroy my credit rating.

Don't bother with the canned "please call" response as we know it's impossible and that the company is currently unable to fulfill basic operational tasks.

Dear Mr. Schuler,

I hope you and your colleagues are well and safe in the current circumstances.

I'm unfortunately writing to inform of you the unacceptable service I've received as a Virgin Media customer as well as to give notice that I wish to cancel my service.

1) Billing Issues

Back in September 2019 I added a call plan that was advertised as supporting unlimited calls to 01, 02, 03, 0845 and 0870 numbers.

I used the call plan for a few weeks and incurred £28.61 of usage charges in the following bill. I ceased using the phone line immediately and upon calling to complain about this and remove the plan, I received unsatisfactory explanations for the charges - some said that I'd called "service numbers", some that i'd gone over a 60 minute limit, nothing that was mentioned when I signed up.

I did not even request for the charges to be refunded, merely that the call plan be taken off my package. I was told that the plan would take 30 days to be removed, which I pushed back on. I was then assured that the plan could be removed immediately.

I am still being debited for this plan today against my consent - 8 months after I requested for the plan to be cancelled.

2) No Response to Complaint about Billing Issues

Some weeks ago when I realized I was still being billed for the call plan, I made a complaint through the online form. I  received no e-mail confirmation or phone call in response - merely a letter on the 8th April requesting that if I still wished to complain, I text reference code COM103956945 to 07533 051 809.

I texted the number in good faith requesting a call back, and received a reply from an automated system that was unable to interpret my message. No-one has yet called me back.

3) Broadband Service - Not fit for purpose, alternative provider already set up and in use

My partner and I working from home has revealed the unreliability of Virgin's network. As soon as the offices were closed we signed up for Sky Broadband as a backup, suspecting from experience that connectivity would become an issue with Virgin.

We were right - the Virgin broadband intermittently stops working for short periods on a regular basis, making it unsuitable for video calls and online meetings.

We plan to continue using the Sky line only.

4) Notice of cancellation

I have made good faith efforts to pursue every avenue of communication regarding my issues to absolutely no result.

All the above considered  (virtually fraudulent billing practices, for unreliable services) I no longer desire or require Virgin's services.

It has been 18 months since I joined Virgin and my minimum period was 12 months.

I called 0345 454 111 this evening to cancel, but no-one is available to answer. There appears to be no way of giving notice of cancellation online.

Had I been able to give notice any other way I wouldn't have bothered to write. But I must ask that you please take this e-mail as my notice of and see that the cancellation process is triggered - final bill, return of equipment and so on. I have already cancelled my Direct Debit as a precaution, but will pay the 30 days notice period by card if someone is able to contact me (given my own contact attempts have been unsuccessful).

5) Contact details

Address:
xxxx
xxxx
xxxx
xxxx
xxxx

Contact Number:
xxxx

Virgin Media Account Number:
 [REMOVED](31)

Despite the frustrating and unsatisfactory experience I have had with your company, I would like to again wish you and your colleagues well at this difficult time.

Best Regards,

David Silver

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Impossible to get Billing Issues and Cancellation Addressed

As neither "posting on community forums" or "sending an email to a random address" are in the TOS as cancellation routes, you have left VM with every oportunity to wreck your credit rating.

For information, not an attack.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Do you find that acceptable? Stipulating that only certain contact methods may be used, and then them not being available? In business when you don't get what you need from the person you're dealing with, you escalate.

I e-mailed senior directors of the company, not random addresses, and the e-mails did not bounce. Can't have been that random as my cancellation is now being processed.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@dcsilver wrote:

Do you find that acceptable? Stipulating that only certain contact methods may be used, and then them not being available? In business when you don't get what you need from the person you're dealing with, you escalate.

I e-mailed senior directors of the company, not random addresses, and the e-mails did not bounce. Can't have been that random as my cancellation is now being processed.

Where did I say it was acceptable? And I used the term "random" as clearly public facing email addresses do NOT link to the lead team, they wind up with drones same as every other contact point.

And as I said, for information, so Ill add some more- other people will read this long after VM is a far off not too pleasant memory for you, around escalation.

Vm heard about escalation routes once, but decided they wanted no truck with the notion. Thus it has always been. 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I'm not brand new to Virgin Media or sending e-mails Kippies - I had to do it around 10 years ago after weeks of no progress on a credit rating issue due to a billing mistake on a student address. I got an immediate and excellent same day result, so you can't blame me for trying again even if things have since changed.

Thanks for the "information" nonetheless - I can't imagine making thousands of posts in support of a multi-billion dollar company for free myself, but I'm sure the shareholders appreciate those who do.

(Another thing - it was a question not an accusation. I wanted to know if you find it acceptable. I still don't know if you do.)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would have thought my reply inferred I did not find it acceptable.

But for the record and to make you happy,

No I do not find the current issues with contacting VM, especially around cancellations or renegotiations acceptable.

There i wrote it in big for you...

As for your veiled criticism, you seem to suffer from a paucity of imagination.... 😉

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos