cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impossible to cancel / setup new contact

Jon1231
Joining in

I've on the phone to the general contact telephone number for over two hours today trying to cancel / agree new contract as mine expires at the end of the month. I have been put on hold endlessly then directed to the wrong department. I've also tried the whatsapp service to no avail. 

How can I sort this? I don't have hours to spend on the phone getting nowhere. I see Ofcom are already investigating Virgin in this regard so it appears my experience is far from unusual.

Such a shame as the actual broadband service is great. 

8 REPLIES 8

my-generation
On our wavelength

My experience too. An 18 month contract would be a value of about £1800.

I really think for that money the least we can expect is an email with the offer, instead of faceless social media ads with no price information and a box saying "click to renew"

It doesn't inspire trust to get vague comments like "less than last year" or similar. Less for how long?. .

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Jon1231

Thanks for posting on our community forum and sorry to hear about the issue with your contract. 

Customers are coming through as we speak regarding package changes, what have the team advised via the WhatsApp service? The lines on 150 or 0345 454 1111 are also still open, I do apologise if you experience a wait time but unfortunately we do not process package changes via here.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

GWalsh1
Joining in

Same situation, on the phone for 35 minutes and they cut me off, tried going through the online contact service again similar issue the Bot (they have even named them) said a wait time of 26 mins, guess what still here over an hour later. My contract has ended with VM all i want to do is give them 30 days notice to cancel

@GWalsh1 wrote:

Same situation, on the phone for 35 minutes and they cut me off, tried going through the online contact service again similar issue the Bot (they have even named them) said a wait time of 26 mins, guess what still here over an hour later. My contract has ended with VM all i want to do is give them 30 days notice to cancel

I think it is obvious to all by now, that VM's entire customer support provision has simply collapsed and is totally incapable of proving any sort of, well, 'support'* - and this has to be entirely by design and a deliberate attempt by VM and their owners to save money.

For everyone in this situation, please just do it in writing, by letter to VM's Sunderland address (somewhere on the website), in said letter include your name, address, account number etc. and state in perfectly plain terms that you wish to cancel your contact as of (let's say) 32 days after the dating of the letter - include the actual date here, and this is, believe me, legally important.

Keep a copy of the letter and send it by signed for delivery (yes it costs you a bit more, but can well pay off in spades later).

* strangely enough, with the exception of their 'new sign up' provision which seems to be working perfectly. Which is odd because the OFCOM regulations which VM signed up for, do specifically state that 'cancelling should not be materially more difficult than signing up'!

GWalsh1
Joining in

Exactly the same situation without anyone answering the phone they just cut me off the online chat is a waste of time sat here for over an hour and a half with no reply 

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there, 

We're sorry to hear you are having issues when trying to get through to the team to speak about changing your package or cancelling the services. The teams are having a higher than usual wait time currently due to volumes but are working as hard and as quick as they can to reach you. 

There are 3 ways you can cancel your services: 

• 1️⃣ You can speak to the team on 0345 454 1111 and selecting options 1, 4 then 4 again.
  • 2️⃣ You can WhatsApp the team on 07305327112. Replies aren't instant and can take a few hours however it does allow you to go about your day whilst waiting for a reply. 
  • 3️⃣ You can write a letter stating that you wish to cancel your services. You will need to include a few details including Your account number, name and full address and contact details for you. Send this to Virgin Media, Sunderland, SR43 4AA. 

The team will process your 30 day notice from any of these 3 routes. They can also speak to you about your package incase you would rather a package review and a new contract.

Let us know how you get on. 🙂

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Repeating the customer contact telephone numbers isn't a suitable response to my concerns. As you can see above many people are in the same situation. I've tried calling again this morning, 45 minutes in so far on hold without answer. 

I will raise my concerns with Ofcom including escalation here and call logs to add to their ongoing investigation.

Hi Jon1231, 

Thanks for taking the time to come back to us on this one. 

We understand it's frustrating when you're having an issue getting through but as mentioned above, there isn't much we can do other than give the relevant options which we have done. 

I'm hoping you managed to get through to the team now but if not and you're still looking to cancel, pop back here to let us know and we can go from there. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team