Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Illegal Hard sell & Being lied to?

Am I the only person that is experiencing that VM staff making statements that "conflict with the truth"?

"Yes I can confirm this conversation is being recorded!" - Not true x 3!

"We don't have a complaint department!" - Not true!

"The complaint team has no line manager and can't email anybody!" - Not true.

"Yes, this conversation is recorded and you will receive a copy in 30-35 days!" - Not true.

Also - giving me a "manager's special offer" for something I am not looking for and only making the offer verbally while refusing to confirm it in writing, isn't this "Hard sell" and illegal according to UK trading standards?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Illegal Hard sell & Being lied to?

All calls are recorded (other than when the telephony recording system falls over), but the front line staff have no access to it.  If you want call recordings, you need to look up Virgin Media's data protection policy, and then write to the address given, making a Subject Data Access Request for all data that VM hold on you.  That will usually come back as a CD with everything VM have, and should include call recordings.  I've seen it stated they only hold them for six months, can't say whether that's true.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Well if all phone conversations are recorded, in that case I can add the number of "Non truths" by VM staff by an est of 15-20. 

From some calls being recorded to a manager telling me 60-70-80% are recorded......while his/her call back probably wasn't since he/she was using an extension that usually isn't recorded.

From the Complaints team in the, according to a VM customer service staff, in the non-existent Complaints department, you can just request they fill in the correct form so you receive a copy of conversation recording!

But......as you may understand by now.........having been lied to by VM representatives/staff so many times by now, I have serious doubts about what I am being told by VM! 

In fact, I think the lies have by now surpassed the number of truths I have been told!  🙂  

It does explain why when you request to communicate via email.......you get calls and not emails!  

Along with why some VM inboxes are full and you immediately get a notification that your response email has not been possible to get delivered.  

I'm guessing fines are less than profits?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/nov/16/ee-and-virgin-media-fined-for-overcharging-customers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hard sell practises?

Hi,

I've just had a reply from the citizens advice bureau that they consider the VM used practises that contradicts Trading Standards, i.e. "Hard sell".  Has anybody else experienced this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there @SBE-London 

A very warm welcome to the forum. 

I would like to start by saying that I am extremely disappointed to hear that you have had this experience, our customer service team pride themself on providing the best service possible. 

If you have not done so already, I would like to assist you with raising a complaint so that we can get this all addressed correctly. Please do reach out and let us know if that is something that you are interested in. 

Kind Regards 

Zak_M 

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I'd be happy to get any help getting through but so far, lies have been many along with promises of receiving emails, confirmation of being sent conservation recordings..........my gut feeling is that the "complaints team" from the non-existent complaints department just want to close complaints.

I've tried to file 2 complaints (hard sell & lies) via the VM complaints page.....and have been successful when the page was working, requested email response, got unsolicited calls from India where the team, according to them, can't send emails, don't have access to all info, they are all managers and don't have a line-manager.....and suggested that if I wanted to speak to a UK based complaints, person with access to email (race/colour/nationality not an issue), I should go to Swansea! 

Bit weird in the digital world and when dealing with a internet provider that you need to travel a long distance and speak to somebody face-to-face and that can send an email.....allegedly!  LOL

So, if you can help me with the two complaints (if they haven't been closed without my knowledge) , confirming what recorded conversations I will be sent, that I have requested a copy of, that would be great.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello SBE-London

Thanks for your reply 

Just to confirm your request for a copy of the call has been actioned now and will be with you in the next 30 days maximum

Your complaint is sitting with the right team and any correspondence is going to be written and sent out as a letter 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Great & Thanks.

Which calls have been requested to be sent to me?

Bit weird VM using snail-mail being an internet service provider.

I was promised an email response and requested it when filing 2 x complaints via the complaints page?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

I raised a complaint in November which was added to with other associated issues as time passed. Including how my complaint has been handled (not at all).

I too was fobbed off but stuck with it resulting in a letter from "Virgin Media Customer Complaints" at the beginning of January stating they'd contact me "in the next few days" - still waiting.

I can't call or email "Customer Complaints" as they didn't put any contact details on their letter.

I've also raised this via "Resolver" with zero response from Virgin from that approach. Resolver have now asked if I want to raise it formally with CISAS. I assume someone at Virgin is paid to stop these progressing if only to avoid it becoming a negative stat of some sort but I'd rather sort it with Virgin - but if they don't want to bother...….

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

"I've also raised this via "Resolver" with zero response from Virgin from that approach. Resolver have now asked if I want to raise it formally with CISAS. I assume someone at Virgin is paid to stop these progressing if only to avoid it becoming a negative stat of some sort but I'd rather sort it with Virgin - but if they don't want to bother...…."

From the date that VM acknowledge your complaint, they have eight weeks to resolve the complaint to your total satisfaction, if they haven't then you can escalate to CISAS (who operate something like the Energy Ombudsman).  Don't rely on Resolver.  Going to CISAS costs VM several hundred quid in fees for each complaint that CISAS investigate, but the service is free to you even if you don't win.  But CISAS won't accept complaints that don't meet their terms of reference, so read the consumer guidance.

You never speak directly to the CISAS adjudicator, so it is very important to be clear in all information you provide to CISAS about the detail of the background (contract, dates, contacts with VM, messages, promises etc), and to be clear what outcome you want (compensation, fault fixing, making good damage, repayment of VM charges).  A good idea is a written submission, using short paragraphs.

The odds are stacked in your favour going to CISAS, but as with all complaints, keep it polite, be sensible, and allow them the time to do their work - CISAS is an effective option, but it isn't quick.