Menu
Highlighted
ScorpionGeneral
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I've had enough

My mother is the account holder for our Virgin Media account, we only have broadband with Virgin, I used to work retentions myself so I offered to chase up a deal she was offered at £37 for TV, home phone and broadband.

I have never witnessed anything like this before both in my time working for call centres or contacting them personally.

I have spoken with 10 different people today and have been on the phone for a total of 3 hours and 13 minutes, the majority of this on hold, some of this time I spent on hold an agent had placed me hold under the pretense that I was being passed through to another department. The longest being 45 minutes, I know this because I redialed the number and got through in 10 from another phone.

So the 6th person I spoke with made a massive oopsie, so you see I was passed through to her by another advisor which took around 17 minutes, and for whatever reason she believed I was a virgin media staff member, despite the fact I opened the call with telling her I wanted to follow up a deal. The reason I say that she made a massive oopsie is because she broke DPA with me and gave me information from the account because she thought I was a virgin media staff member.

She proceeded to tell me I was being passed through to another department and simply muted her headset, life tip for you here love, you're not the only person who's ever worked in a call centre, she left me on mute for about 10 minutes, at which point I told her she does realise I know she's still there, queue hold music.

Anyways the 45 minute hold came off the back of this call in which I told the agent afterwards that I wanted the £37 deal but now for everything I've gone through and the fact that the previous person has disclosed sensitive information and I could have got hold of my entire mothers personal information despite never stating I was a virgin media staff member I would like th deal pushing down to £30 which I think is a fair deal given that the person before HAD LITERALLY JUST BROKEN THE LAW. She said she couldn't do that as she had no power over the prices, which I stupidly believe because I used to say this all the time working retentions (because I didn't) so I asked to speak to her manager, she then told me that her manager also had no control over the prices either and there was only one department that did.

I told her that I didn't want to be on hold for another 30 minutes whilst being passed through to which point she told me it was a 15 minute wait, as above this turned into 45 minutes, I googled a way to speak to a UK based call center and found the only way was through options 4 > 5 for the cancellations team which I assumed she would be passing me through to, well that was wrong, they aren't UK based I got through to another overseas agent and at that point I just conceded and hung up.

Final end to the rant here, we wanted to swap everything over to Virgin because of the good deal we were offered yesterday, but after this experience I might leave and go pay extra with somebody else.

Side note: if anyone can tell me who to report this DPA breach to that would greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: I've had enough

None of that makes any sense.

You SHOULD have to clear security to make changes to the account- did they not go through that with you?

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ScorpionGeneral
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

They did not, they thought I was a staff member, I had to tell them I didn't work for Virgin Media around 10 minutes into the conversation.

Tell me which parts don't make sense and I'll elaborate.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DABhand
Super solver
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Did you pass DPA at the start of the transfering process? It seems you went from agent to agent a few times, if the first agent did DPA and you were on the same call then if they were technically warm transfering you wouldn't need to pass DPA again.

If you were cold transfered then yes DPA has to be done again. But I can understand the fact you used retentions terminology that it could have fooled an agent into believing you were a staff member doing their job.

Also as a retentions agent you should also know that any DPA breach should be reported to VM for them to investigate what happened on the call and of course to ICO.

Majide!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
ScorpionGeneral
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I was cold transferred, I opened the conversation with something to the effect of "I'm not the account holder I'm looking to follow up on a deal I was offered yesterday for £37"

In all honesty I think I'm just going to draw a line under this whole experience flag it to the ICO and go elsewhere, simply put this whole three and a half hour ride has left me jaded, but thank you for your input.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi ScorpionGeneral,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear this. 

When the original deal was discussed was the deal sent in a message to the account holder? 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

... Glad you don't work in my business! ...

Mistakes happen … and if you feel DPA had been breached and  it should be reported - do it to the correct people … NOT on here and then ''' (suggest)

"" that a reduction on price would be appropriate!

Guess you are someone who NEVER made a mistake or if you did … 'It's not my fault boss" is the defence!

You had a good deal - IF 'it was passed 'COLD' you have a case for breach of DPA - You don't KNOW for sure ...

You are obviously aware of DPA procedure - so WHY didn't you stop the conversation - not wait for 10 minutes -  and suggest a check was needed?

It's called 'helping' your (ex-?) workmates … or being 'PART OF A TEAM! … ZvonoK

0 Kudos
Highlighted
wez
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

If you've worked in a call center you'd know that even when transferring the call "cold" the system will still show you've previously passed DPA, not to mention the previous advisor probably noted the account.

Sounds like you said you were offered a deal at £37 per month? - that's actually pretty good for a existing customer deal - the cheapest package (player) for new customers is £33.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
ScorpionGeneral
Joining in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi, I am no too sure if it has been sent in a message to the account holder but one of the agents I've spoke with confirmed that it was on the notes that this was offered.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Right I see. Thank you for that. 

What I will do is private message you now to take some details to have a look over this. 

^Martin

0 Kudos