Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

I have been deliberately been mis sold an enhanced Virgin Media package

I was looking for a new provider as Virgin Media was too expensive, and was out of contract.

By chance, I got a phone call from a Virgin Media telesales woman ( not based in the UK) who agreed I wasn't getting the best value for money and told me for the same bill she can upgrade my services, which seemed reasonable. She also told me I'd get a free mobile phone sim which I do not need nor want, but was told I might as well have it as it's free.

My next 2 bills were DOUBLE what I was paying and there is absolutely NO WAY of CONTACTING Virgin Media by phone as I am on hold for 3-4 hours before I have no choice but to hang up and give up.

What can I do about this?? I have  no means of explaining to Virgin that I was mis sold and am NOT AT ALL HAPPY that I am now paying twice as much as before for a service I was assured would be the same cost. I can't afford a lawyer and that person who sold me this package never sent me an email to confirm,

I am literally at my wits end as I have no means to pay twice as much, never mind desire.

All help grateful accepted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: I have been deliberately been mis sold an enhanced Virgin Media package

These "didn't get the deal I agreed" situations happen from time to time.  However, your legal rights are crystal clear - information provided by a company verbally or written is binding if the consumer relies upon it when entering a contract (Consumer Rights Act 2015), so VM have to honour whatever was promised, whether they like it or not.  The call should have been recorded by VM's systems, and if it wasn't there's no basis for ANY contract.

Hopefully the forum staff can pick this up and get it sorted - by which I mean that you get exactly the deal you were promised, not some less attractive compromise.  That would be the cheapest and quickest resolution for both parties, and the best way of trying to recover some goodwill in a bad situation.  If they can't get it sorted in that complete manner, you need to search, read and follow the Virgin Media Complaints Code of Practice.  Don't start a complaint until you've seen if the forum staff can get this sorted (and I'll flag your post for their attention), because I believe they can't get involved once it has become a formal complaint. 

If you do need to raise a formal complaint (I suggest in writing, by recorded post), reject the contract they're trying to impose, and demand that as per your legal rights the company honour what was agreed, and pointing out that if the company can't honour its agreement you will escalate to the industry arbitration scheme CISAS as soon as permitted by the rules.  In the meanwhile, don't do anything daft like stopping your direct debit, that'll be recorded as a credit default, and opens up whole new realms of difficulty for you.  Don't worry if VM contact you claiming that they couldn't get hold of you, so will close the complaint if they don't hear to the contrary, this doesn't stop you being able to take the matter further.

If VM still won't honour the contract despite the complaint, or say they're going to close the complaint, then you follow the process and escalate to the industry arbitration scheme no sooner than eight weeks after your initial complaint was received by VM.  Explain the background and request that VM be required to give you the promised deal, fully backdated, and add on a request for compensation for the hassle.  Not only does escalation to CISAS cost VM money (free to you, costs of several hundred quid are ALWAYS paid by the company) but it gets your case investigated and impartially heard by expert dispute resolution staff.  From published data, the majority of complaints escalated to CISAS, either the company immediately concedes, compromises, or loses at the end of arbitration.  As you'll have seen, if this has to go down the formal complaint route (and maybe escalation) then it is a painfully slow process, and you won't hear much whilst it is being considered.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: I have been deliberately been mis sold an enhanced Virgin Media package

Hi bluefox9er,

Thanks for posting and welcome to our community 🙂

I'm sorry to hear there's been some confusion regarding your package change, I'm not able to locate any details for you, so I've sent you a private message.

Alex_Rm