Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I am going to switch to Talk Talk, but I have left it too late to cancel and that means £49.

I qualify for :

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/register-for-essential-broadband

since I am on ESA + PIP.  Thinking of applying for it and cancelling at the start of the month.  If I sign up with talk talk via quidco I get £90 cashback, first 3 months free and a 2 year contract of £26 a month which is £1 more than the 12 month contract with VM.  Also a perfect time to end the contract with black friday deals about.  In fact my upload will be almost double my current speed, and I rarely max out my download speed anyhow.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: I am going to switch to Talk Talk, but I have left it too late to cancel and that means £49.

I was checking my gmail account for a talk talk activation email when I found this in a VM email:

Just so you know...
You may get a better introductory offer with another provider, and you might also get a better deal if you bundle all your services together from a single supplier. If you decide to switch, you’ll need to give us 30 days’ notice by calling 0345 454 1111, but if you cancel after your contract ends on 03/12/2020 you won’t have any early termination fees to pay.

Is this some kind of ruse where they are letting you roll into the next month at full price, but draw your attention to the fact you are not cancelling early?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: I am going to switch to Talk Talk, but I have left it too late to cancel and that means £49.

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/register-for-essential-broadband#speeds

I applied for this and after about 4 emails back and forth I got an offer.  It was not the above 16Mb/s down 2Mb/s it was just to remove my phone line.  Which I have never used as I don't even have a house phone.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhCKpFOJjf6jgnBgt-nMnxhjlS4K?e=ZxFMpx

I was on £25 a month and it went up to £49, their offer was £41.75 whereas the essential broadband which they made me work to prove I qualified should be £15 a month. 

I replied and told them to cancel it completely and got no reply.

Part of the reason I have no problem leaving is because two emails I've had for 20 years are not transferable to my account.  My Dad has passed away now but my Mum still pays VM. 

I've already signed up with talktalk to get an engineer out on the date (by chance) my VM service should have ended.  They have signed me up for another year contract but I did not sign anything and its not what I asked for.  I want to cancel.

I hope someone actually replies, I thought this was where to go when u had an issue.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi sgtsixpack,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry that you are trying to cancel as found a better deal via another company.

I will be more than happy to look into this for you, so I can help further I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I rang up retentions and first got through to the non-UK call centre.  I rang from my Mum's VM phone using this info:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Customer-Relations-Retentions-Latest-Contact-Info...

"Re: Customer Relations/Retentions Latest Contact Info

on ‎20-08-2018 19:28

Virgin system has been updated 0345 454 1111 - option 1,1,4,5,3 to get to retentions

I was offered a good deal to stay so took it didn't quite match new customers offer but close enough to save the hassle of switching to another provider"

(I had to chose slightly different options because I was not on my account's VM phone).

I was offered £25 for my current services.  I was then put through to a UK "cancel" line, but it was in fact a 2nd line of retentions.  I told them about my situation with two emails I've had for 20 years which is part of my Late Father's account.  My Mum still pays the bills.  I've tried in the past on this forum to get my emails transferred to my count (I set the emails up and no one else ever had access).  I was told by the 2nd line retention operator that I would get a refund of £49 for the month where I have left it too late to cancel.  Also that (at my request) he would email me what he had said with regards to looking into getting the emails transferred & the refund. 

A couple of hours later I received another phone call from a 3rd line of retentions.  He reduced the bill to £19 and also told me he would email me about the refund and about the emails I'm after.  I've received no emails from with tier 2 or 3 retentions operators in contrast with what they told me on the phone.

The sticking point for me was being offered an 18month contract whereas with talk-talk they offer a 24month contract (so I can look for a black Friday deal on broadband).  The advantage of switching to talk talk is that they will install a phone line, which is handy when looking for DSL deals.  Also nothing to pay for 3 months + £90 cashback from quidco.com (a company I experience of getting a payout from). 

Recovering the emails and refunding the £49 for late cancellation were not tied to a me taking a new contract according to the 2nd tier retentions.  However without the email I requested from tier 2 & 3 I have no confidence they will keep their word.  Also I have no proof of the 3rd line's offer should I wish to reconsider.

Again the 2nd tier retention's operator specifically stated that he would refund me and look into recovering the emails, but alas nothing in writing; and again this was not a sweetener on condition I renew a contract but a parting promise. 

Having both tiers agree to emailing me their stated course of action (and not following through), I would feel more aggrieved should I have accepted an offer. 

I note that from reading the details about their policies, that if I failed to fulfil my obligations, specifically pay on time it could effect my credit rating.  Its a pity they are not subject to the same rules.

I've been 99% happy with VM with regard providing uninterrupted service, but how can I trust someone who says he will refund me £49 in January when he fails to email me about it after he said he would?

Since my Dad passed away, you could write a new contract for my Mum and then transfer the account to me.  On the other hand; is not having to change 350 logins worth losing 3 free months, £90 cashback; and a new phone line (for data only).  In my case I think not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

[quote=Paul via PM]Hi Nigel.

Thank you for coming back and clearing security, I can see you have already asrranged to take your number to Talk Talk which will cancel the phoneline, once this is done the team will then arranged for the internet to be disconnected.

Kind regards

Paul.

[/quote]

Hi Paul, disconnection from VM will not help with regards to either my email issue or my refund promised, or the fact I still have not recieved an email confirming these actions.  Also I applied for essential broadband, and it was emailed to me that I proved I qualified but was not given the package. 

Actually if I decide talk talk's service is not up to my expectations, disconnecting me will be an issue if I change my mind.  Since I am being bill I explicitly urge you not to disconnect me early. 

I'd rather be overcharged £15 not £49 for late cancellation.  Also why is this "cancellation fee" not highlighted on your statements?  When I joined I paid £35 from using the incorrect link (activation fee)(I can't provide anymore details on this unfortunately).  I have seen a case on the forums where this kind of mistake was fixed.

PM'ing u.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nigel,

In regards to losing the emails you advised what account were they associated to?

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Check PM for details of my parents account (now that *is* better off in PM don't you think?)

I've just been looking at my late Dad's account.  There is no one living there right now.  I made one phone call to virgin media 0345 number yesteday yet there is a call charge of

Charges since 30th Oct 2020
£6.88

The name of the account holder has changed because the bank has been notified of my Father' passing.  My Mum is on a pension and she is being charged £79 odd a month and this is with a £5 odd discount. 

" When your contract comes to an
end on 22/03/2020, it will then change to £80.25 a month
"

Not if I have anything to do with it. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

We've moved on from the sensitive information but I think for anyone reading this, its apparent we have hit the merry go round in regards to my issue(s).

Hi Nigel,

If once you have given your 30 days notice and everything goes off, if you have paid past the day it goes off you will receive a refund by cheque around 40 days after the disconnection date.

Regards

Paul.

sgtsixpack
a moment ago

I have not given 30 days notice this is why my billing page informs me I will pay £49 for the month my contract rolls over to the next calender year.  I have asked for essential broadband which would mitigate this cost, but I ended up at retentions who gave me £19 for 18months on the same contract, but this would be a new contract.  Since I have already booked a talktalk engineer for the 4th of December which is the start of the next calender year it would benefit me if I was put onto essential broadband (as I applied for and was accepted on except I was not given it!  I was given a new contract - phone line which won't do).

I need to be put on essential broadband from the 4th of December and I would like a refund of the charge for the next month due to not being aware of the 30 day rule in time to action it.

Regards

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Once the number has gone to Talk Talk me can then cancel everything else.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos