Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hub 3 - free upgrade or not???????

Just need a clarification please.
I'm wanting to swap from a Superhub 2 to the Hub 3 - we struggle with wi-fi signal upstairs (no matter what channel is used), so was wanting to see if the Hub 3 would improve matters.

3 chats with the online chat - 2 different answers...
1. Why do you need to upgrade, speak to tech support
2. You need to upgrade your package to get a Hub 3.
3. Never heard of the link below - wanting to charge me extra for a bigger package.

Phone call to billing tells me it's £130 to upgrade!

I found the link below on here...

https://store.virginmedia.com/existing-customer/my-offers/hub-swap

It says 'FREE' but on the final order screen there's a £5 discrepency, so I just want to actually confirm with someone what the actual cost is - actually!!!

free?free?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Hub 3 - free upgrade or not???????

You will only be charged to cover the postage costs for the hub 3 when you place the order to change it, which is the £5 you are seeing, that'll go on your next bill, you absolutely do not need to upgrade your package at all or take any new deal, whoever told you that is deliberately trying to mis sell you a package/contract just to boost their sales productivity. Usual dire over seas customer service tactic.

£5 to cover postage is reasonable.

All the best 😉

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks that all makes perfect sence, but...

I chose collection from a shop which is free, so it's not that.

I'm thinking it's more to do with a £5 discount I have, which isn't mentioned anyway on my, out-of-date, contract or any recent bills.
I'd just like to know for certain as the 4 times I've spoken to Virgin haven't left me with any confidence that I'm actually speaking to anyone who knows!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

to come back to your point that the wifi on the sh2 is not good - changing to a hub3 is likely not to improve that - its no better some say worse - you need to look at the reasons you have bad wifi rather than hoping any upgrade kit from VM will cure it 

if it is simply the placing of the hub then a 3rd party router is a far better option - costs more but likely to solve the problem

or is it an input problem - do you have wired devices and do they lose connection

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Good point Tony, thanks

Luckily I have cables running into 3 bedrooms for the PC's it feeds - so that's not a problem - absolutely rock solid 220mb connections to each.
But we've got a couple of firesticks upstairs now and these struggle sometimes - Wifi analyser apps tell me that I'm only getting 20-30% signal strength, and as mentioned I've tried all the channels on the router itself to little effect. And I can't move the router itself, which admittedly isn't in an ideal location.
I may get a Tenda AC10U from Amazon (only £40 and could send it back if not happy) and try that out first before the Hub 3 perhaps?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C7Y9G96/?coliid=I1P5U7068IY9AY&colid=256KFNZ2ZIWQA&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_l...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Fastra, 

Thanks for using the forum to ask this question, I can see the guys above gave you some really good and impartial advice. 

I want to go back to what -tony- said about looking at why your signal is poor. You did mention the hub itself isn't in a very good place but you can't move it. Plus, the issues are stemming from signal upstairs to the firesticks. I'm thinking WIFI boosters might be a good call for you in this case as they combat any black spots in your house. If you've not got them already, you can find out if you need them via our Connect App, it will scan your abode and give you instructions on how to acquire them if you need them. 

As for an update for your equipment, you can do this online like you mentioned above or you can speak to our faults team who can do it through your account. However, in regards to the £5 discount you mentioned, have you spoken to our billing team to find out more info on this? 

Let me know and I'll continue to try and help 🙂

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Megan, 

I can't use the connect app to scan for hotpots as I need a Hub 3.  Don't I?

Your billing department told me its £130 for an upgrade, so I'm not really believing anything they say. 

Reading through some similar posts it seems that the only way to find out is to speak to retentions. 

Please let me know your thoughts on the above. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi Fastra, 

Yes you're right about the Connect App and the Hub 3, sorry about that! 

I would like to see if I can do anything from my system, I'll send you a private message with some questions about data protection, then I can have a deeper look and see what I can do for you. 

Speak soon!

Megan_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - I'll look out for it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I ordered one around 10 days ago, and received a order confirmation email. I can't see anywhere on the website or any of the apps if/when this going to arrive. I can't spend an hour talking to a call center in India after spending all day working from home on calls. Any idea how to check if my order has been processed and when this is due to arrive?

cheers

0 Kudos