Menu
Dimwight
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

How to cancel your contract online - no phoning required!

I recently signed up with Vodafone who have arrived in Cambridge and finally put an end to VM's monopoly. Slightly faster, less than half the price I was being charged - what's not to like?

Which only left me with the tricky issue of cancelling my VM contract. First I tried phoning like they ask, but of course got fed up with waiting. Especially ended up with the suspicion that once you select the 'I want to cancel' option they artificially lengthen the queue.

So I set myself the challenge of cancelling without phoning or struggling with the chat system. Pretty tricky since they go to such lengths to hinder any online contact. However there is a tiny gap in their defences, the complaints page at https://my.virginmedia.com/my-cases/make-a-complaint. So I duly raised a complaint about the phone waiting times, at the same time taking the opportunity to request cancellation. (I'd already taken the precaution of cancelling my direct debit.)

A mere couple of weeks later an email arrived from the 'Resolutions Team', saying that "we cannot process cancellation ... as we require a verbal confirmation from your end." To which I replied that they were being deliberately obstructive, but were free to call me themselves if they wished.

Then nothing, except that I continued to be billed. The most promising way to apply a bit of pressure looked like CISAS https://www.cedr.com/consumer/cisas, and this turned out to be the case in the end. However they won't even look at your complaint until it's at least eight weeks old.

To pass the time I tried ISPA https://www.ispa.org.uk/consumers/complaints which is VM's trade association. They have a very convincing system where you register a complaint, then escalate it in the event of no response from their member. The only trouble was, it had absolutely no effect.

Back to waiting until my eight weeks were up, at which point I received a nice email from VM's system telling me about CISAS (so all my previous research was unnecessary!).

Anyway to cut a long story short, I duly registered my complaint with CISAS. They demand lots of supporting documentation so I sent them my latest bill and screenshots of all the emails wrapped in a Word document.

And VM surrendered! Contract cancelled, outstanding bills credited, even an apology that seemed written by a human being.

So it can be done, you just have to wait out your eight weeks and be prepared to handle the CISAS process.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: How to cancel your contract online - no phoning required!

Alternatively you could just have checked your T&Cs (or asked here, and we'd have told you), and sent a letter by recorded post giving 30 days notice.  Quicker, less hassle.

I would agree that VM's persistent and wilful failure to offer any competent on line account management, or competent chat or email support places the company firmly in the last century, but if you've been with VM long enough you already know that. 

EDIT: I should also wish you luck with Vodafone, who on Ofcom data are even worse than VM.  I suspect that like VM, when everything works, it's great, when you need to contact them you find the customer service call centre is in fact a payphone in down-and-out-city in Bangalore.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Dimwight
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Maybe quicker, but I just wasn't willing to be forced myself back into the last century - recorded delivery  forsooth! I'd communicated to them my desire to cancel, it was up to them to comply without argument.

I cherish the hope that if others copy this approach, VM may lose the will to argue about it.

And I've copied the history to Ofcom in the equally faint hope of getting VM into trouble.

0 Kudos
用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Consider keeping an eye on your (statutory) credit files for any wrongly record defaults from Virgin Media.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dimwight,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you've had with cancelling your services. 

We do advise calling in as the quickest way to process a cancellation request but as other users have advised you can send in a letter for this as well. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Dimwight
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

But why not allow one-click cancellation (especially for users beyond the initial contract), like other providers of online services such as Netflix?

I have to admit I took this approach largely to prove a point, but does that mean the point isn't a sound one?

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

If a customer does wish to cancel we would always like to chat with them to see if there is anything we can do to keep them with us.

If a customer still wish to leave then we would need to discuss cancellation details. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Dimwight
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Then why not ring them back as Amazon do?
0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dimwight,

Thank you for your feedback on this. 

Sadly this isn't an option we currently offer. 

^Martin

0 Kudos
Dimwight
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that is indeed very sad

0 Kudos