Menu
Albatraous
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

How difficult is it for Customer service to NOT breach GDPR?

Why is it so difficult for Virgin Media to adhere to GDPR?

I requested support over my router's wifi still dropping out and wanting a replacement (as I had followed all the steps suggested by Support, but it still has the issue). I was told I would have to pay for a replacement Hub, which is unfair when I have reported this as an issue numerous times, and been told "There isn't a problem with the device".

After raising a complaint about this, I have been continuously called on my phone up to 3 times a day for the past several weeks. I expressly requested to be contacted via email only, yet this has been ignored, abusing the permission I have given for use of my personal data. I have even blocked the number, yet still they call (I would have thought they would get the hint).

Trying to contact someone else to get this flagged for them not to call is a joke, as the only online chat lines you can get through to keep fobbing you off to other departments that don't even have a working chat system.

Why is it so difficult to understand when a customer says "Email only" to harass them several times via the phone? I cannot take calls at work, which is why I expressly said email only, and I want a written copy of what is said as well.

The broadband speed is fantastic, the wifi is a joke, and the customer service teams are an embarrassment. I have never dealt with such a poor and unhelpful customer service team.

I am not asking for much, especially as the complaints form even has a "Preferred method of contact" drop down, which is ignored.

0 Kudos
Albatraous
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: How difficult is it for Customer service to NOT breach GDPR?

Calls yesterday at 9:33, 10:35 and 11:40, from +443454541111.

0 Kudos
Albatraous
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Now getting bombarded by other numbers from Virgin media.

How about you actually bother to respond to me via email (as requested) rather than continue to breach GDPR?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Good Morning Albatraous,

Thanks for your posts and I'm sorry to see that you're getting calls from Virgin Media on a regular basis.

Have you got a self-care account with Virgin Media?

If you log into this and alter your marketing preferences this will stop calls from our company coming through to you. This will take a maximum of 40 days to process but will bring an end to these calls

David_Bn  

0 Kudos
Albatraous
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello David

Thank you for the generic answer, proving that Virgin Media representatives do not have the capacity to read to a competent level.

If you read my initial post, you would have seen this isn't to do with marketing calls, but your customer service team, in relation to a complaint.

When a customer logs a complaint on your site, it asked "Preferred method of communication". I chose email, yet for some reason your staff are unable to comprehend this preference, so ignore GDPR (do you know what this is?) and instead try to phone (several times a day, even with a blocked number!) rather than listen and understand the customers preference.

Considering you are the first person from Virgin to write back to me, I am not surprised you haven't even taken the time to read carefully and understand the issue before responding.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response Albatraous,

My apologies, I wasn't sure that the volume of calls was solely about a complaint on the account, we would only seek to contact a customer on a handful of occasions before then writing a letter, advising of a resolution.

If you have a complaint you still want resolving I can look into this for you over our PM service and you'll have transcript of our communication.

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for my PM

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Albatraous
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Sooo. I received an email this morning:

"Thanks for getting in touch with us about your Data Subject Rights request.

You asked us to stop sending marketing to you. We can confirm that we have updated our systems in this regard however please be aware this may take up to 28 days to take effect.

We may still need to get in touch about your service or when we’re legally obliged to inform you of any changes.

If there’s anything else you need, please call our Customer Care team. For Virgin Media you can contact us on 0345 454 1111 or dial 150 from a Virgin Media phone line, or for Virgin Mobile you can contact us on 0345 6000 789 or dial 789 from your Virgin Mobile phone. "

This is blatantly NOT the issue I have raised, even when I mentioned this in the private message to David. Why is GDPR not taken seriously by Virgin? You have a legal duty to protect and not abuse the data provided to you.

I received another phone call at 17:10 last night, proving that once again, Virgin are happy to harass customers.

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Just throwing out a FYI, GDPR doesn't dictate on how a company contacts you in regards to complaints or to inform you of account changes etc, it dictates on how it processes information and that you have access to it free and also the right to to rectify and erasure of data.

So to me, perhaps I am out of the loop here, I don't see what they have breached to be honest, at times they will deal with complaints via calls or deal with customers over the phone if they can due to security, as emails are not reliable in the security sense as they can be taken over, ghosted/redirected etc.

I hope they fix your complaint, but in my honest opinion I don't think you understand GDPR yourself. Sorry but I am just expressing my opinion.

Majide!
Albatraous
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

GDPR governs the data a company can collect and the use you agree to. If a customer doesn't agree to the use, the company cannot use it for that purpose. That is the breach. It is amazing the number of people here that are claiming I don't understand GDPR, when they clearly do not know what GDPR covers, thinking it is the same rules as the previous data protection act. It is not. It is giving the person who owns the data, the customer, greater control over what companies hold on them and how they use it.

Phone calls are not reliable, as someone can pick up your phone and pretend to be you. It is highly unlikely that someone would bother to ghost an email address to request technical support or complain to a company for someone else.

I am STILL waiting on them emailing me.

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

You are wrong, as a customer to Virgin they have all rights to store information on you and to keep that information available to you, they have to store only pertinent information relating to the customer and nothing else, how they use it is up to them - they cannot sell it on of course, but in regards in how they contact you that is up to them (unless you are deaf and need text phone usage etc or some other viable medical reason to be unable to use a phone), sure you can request that email would be best for you - but they have to follow stringent rules also and if it is regarding complaints or anything financial they cannot do it via an email as that is lengthy and open for abuse (in terms of emails not being from the said customer, redirected, ghosted, etc), so they will always opt for telephone calls.

Phone calls yes someone can pick up and pretend to be the customer, but do they know the password to the account? Do they know any of the other security questions if they fail the password? Good chance they do not, unless of course they are a nominated 3rd party by the account holder or POA. You say it is highly unlikely for someone to ghost an email for tech support or complaints? Think of this, they start talking on an email gain information, then they hit you with an email pretending to be VM and phish for your info. There is a reason why this happens and why scammers choose emails as a method to grab your info.

Anyways, apart from the assumption that you think I see GDPR as the DPA previously, I still think you are twisting the GDPR in a way to try and suit your own argument. As said previously I hope they fix your complaint, but you still don't understand GDPR, unless you wish to show which of the rights cover you in regards in how you want to be contacted?

Majide!