Menu
lacoste1985
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

How can I downgrade my package?

Hi

I currently receive a full phone, tv and broadband bundle with you and believe I am still in contract until 7th November 2017. My financial circumstances are likely to be shortly changing which means I need to make changes to my package. Please can you advise how and when I can do this? I want to downgrade my TV package from Big Kahuna to Mix TV and remove phone/line rental from my package altogether. In fact, when I took a new contract out with you last November (as I moved house) I was not even aware that it was possible to have broadband without a phone line. I dont even have a house phone so this has been a complete waste of money for me. 

I look forward to your response.

Many thanks

Samantha

0 Kudos
Andrew-H
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: How can I downgrade my package?

You will need to phone in to downgrade, and if you are looking to cut off the phone, it will need to be the customer relations department. 30 day notice period will be required, so I would be doing it this week if I were you.

These are just my opinions. Feel free to completely ignore my advice. The above message may contain sarcasm (if you can't find it, you're not looking hard enough)
Forum Team (Retired) Kath_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi lacoste1985, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're looking at downgrading your services. 

We understand that things change and we're here to support you in whichever way we can Smiley Happy 

It sounds like you would benefit from a complete package review. We can look at what you want against what you've got and then look at what you need too. 

Speak to the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111 and follow the options for leaving us. This will get you through to retention's who will be able to help. 

Come back and let us know how things go. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

lacoste1985
Tuning in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all. I contacted retentions a few days who have persuaded me to keep my phone line as they can give customers bigger discounts the more services they take out. Spoke to a very helpful chap who has applied a 12 month discount to my account and made my bills just short of £50 a month. I downgraded my TV to mix tv and broadband to 100mbps so this also helped. Didnt catch his name but very helpful! Thank you 😀
0 Kudos
TrevorC
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I tried to downgrade my package (Last month internet and TV £52 - freeview channels only) to internet only and was told that the cheapest connection I could have would cost £36 per month. So I started the long and drawn out process of changing to John Lewis at £20 a month.

Now I see Virgin advertising internet only for £25 a month for a year. If I had been offered this I would have stayed with Virgin. Now it is too late as I am contracted to JL.

Thanks Virgin!

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kath_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi TrevorC, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you've left us Smiley Sad 

Offers and Promotions do change all the time. If it was available at the time then we would of offered it to you then. 

Come back to us once your contract ends to see what deals are available then Smiley Happy

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
autum1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I called customer service twice about downgrading my package. I was told i would receive a email about different options of packages, but all received was a email about upgrading only. My current package is BIG KAHUNA Bundle at 89.98 a month, which is far too large for me.

(TV full house) has too many TV channel's which i don't watch. (broadband VIVID 200 optical fibre) is OK , but only one person in my household use the internet. (phone talk more anytime) i don't make many calls.  So i really need a smaller package. I have a family member who is also a Virgin Media customer and has a similar package, but only pay's about £50 a month.

I have been a loyal Virgin Media customer for over 12 years and much prefer to stay with Virgin Media, then move to another provider.

Could someone please give me some advice about down grading my package.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

who are you talking to - if offshore any story is possible - i certainly was not aware they send emails out with such things

get through to the UK - prompts below should get you there

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - 'thinking of leaving us' - then "technical issues" - dont worry about that they do much more - open 8am -10pm 7 days a week - should take you to a UK call centre

Tony
0 Kudos
Scotteboy01
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have just been through this exact process with Virgin and don't expect anything spectacular.  My wife has fallen severely ill and now its only my wages that have to pay for anything and i don't earn enough for that. Ive cancelled everything non-priority or anything we can do without. Vodafone were brilliant, as were Barclays, Natwest and even my local council gave me three months grace on my council tax. Virgin however, cant do much at all. I pay £60 per month and the best they can do is cancel 70% of my channels, half my broadband speed and sign me up to a new contract for £45 per month. This is the same package that new customers can get for £27 (with the £5 managers discretion) and i will need to pay upto £240 to cancel this contract if my situation deteriorates. If you are on the brink of losing your home like me (and after speaking to retentions at Virgin) your better off cancelling your DD, allowing it to go to their collections team. You will still receive a restricted service for your TV and Broadband but you will get the grace period you need for your monthly bills if in extreme financial difficulty.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Kaz_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Scotteboy01

I do appreciate when things are difficult you need support and the teams when you spoke to them did offer a different and lower pack as you have mentioned that would save you money on a monthly basis.

Whilst I appreciate that is not what you want it is one of the options that we would ask a customer to consider if they are going to struggle financially. To look at paring back on their package.

If that is not an option for you I understand.

The new customer offers are just for new customers no matter what the circumstances.

Under no circumstances are you better off cancelling your DD and having the services restricted. This incurs you a Late Payment Fee of £10 monthly and £120 annually if you continue to have this pattern, so this is not benefiting you financially.

Additionally this is logged on your credit file which may affect you in the future in applications for services or a mortgage etc.

I do hope things work out for you and my sincere best wishes for your wife's good health to return if this is a possibility, which I do hope it is.

Kindest regards.

Kaz

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos