Menu
Fiona2304
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

High charge for cancelling within cooling off period

I signed up for a VM contract and picked up the equipment for quick start. The next day I had to call VM to cancel - this is within the 14 day cooling off period and I haven’t even opened the box so haven’t used the services whatsoever. 

The person on the call cancelled the contract no problem however I must pay £71.00?? After telling her this was not going to happen, she spoke to her supervisor and got the charge down to £41.00. I then asked to speak to her supervisor and was told I wouldn’t be able to and they would only tell me the same thing. 

So I have to pay £41.00 for services I haven’t used. The equipment hasn’t been out the box?? Surely there’s a way I can get out of this?

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: High charge for cancelling within cooling off period

Your quite right, no charges should be due, if anything anything you might of paid would be due back.

If I've helped please let me know 🙂 Matt

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....
Vodafone 5G EE BQM Hub 4 BQM Hub 3 BQM Hitron CGNV4 BQM

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
Fiona2304
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply Matt, that’s exactly what I thought. What would you say was the best way for me to get this looked into further and get the charges removed?

0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

First port of call is calling 0345 454 1111 options 1-1-4-4 8am sharp and hopefully they can resolve this for you.

Failing that you can submit a complaint using the online form and waiting here may also get you some support from staff when they get round to your post.

A 10+ Year Virgin Media veteran, been here through the Up's and the Down's and Down's....

Technical Support - AV & Networking - Customer Service - Finance - Culinary - Construction
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Refer to the Virgin Media Terms and Conditions, Section M: https://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services#cooli...

1. If you have ordered any of the services online, by telephone or from an agent attending at your home and have entered into a new contract with us you have a statutory right to cancel an order for those services within the cooling off period, which is 14 days from the latest of:

1. the day after the delivery of the equipment;

2. the service start date; and

3. the day on which you received a copy of these terms and conditions in printed or PDF format.

We may choose to offer an enhanced cooling off period from time to time, and will inform you of this at the time of your purchase if this is the case.

2. You may not cancel a Pay-Per-View programme once you have begun to stream or download it.  By streaming or downloading a Pay-Per-View programme you consent to us making the programme available to you immediately and agree to waive your statutory right to a 14 day cooling off period during which you may cancel this purchase. We will provide confirmation of this to you immediately prior to streaming or downloading the Pay-Per-View programme. It is your responsibility to make sure PIN codes and passwords for Pay-Per-View programmes are used correctly.

3. You can cancel your order by making any clear statement to us regarding that cancellation by:

1. dialling 0345 454 1111 from any phone (for information on how much this call will cost from a Virgin Media home phone visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles may vary);

2. writing to Virgin Media Sales Operation Support, Diamond Plaza, Daleside Road, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire, NG2 3GG; or

3. completing the cancellation form you have been given as part of your welcome pack and returning this to us at the address specified on the form.

4. If you cancel the services during the cooling off period, we will refund to you all payments received from you, including the costs of any delivery for any equipment you ordered, except for costs and charges set out in paragraphs M.5.1 and/or M.5.2. If you cancel an order for equipment, we will automatically cancel your order for the services unless you inform us otherwise.

5. If you requested a service to begin during the cooling off period:

1. we may require you to pay us an amount proportionate to any services which we have provided you up until the cancellation date; and

2. we will not refund any one-off fees for activation or installation of the services if you cancel the services after installation or activation.  

6. If you cancel during the cooling off period you must return promptly any equipment which you have been provided, using the returns method provided with the equipment or any other method we advise.  You will be responsible for the costs of returning the equipment to us and we may charge you our direct return costs (including by offsetting this against any money we owe you as part of any refund).  We will also charge you for non-returned equipment. For more information, please see our price guides for details on these charges and process.

7. We will make any refunds due to you for exercising your rights to cancel during the cooling off period (subject to any deductions due to us) within 14 days, starting the day after we are informed that you wish to cancel.  We will make any refund using the same method of payment you used to pay us.

Pay particular attention to item 4.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

As mentioned in the original post no service has been provided or activated.

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

But a contract has been entered into, and apparently activated.

That's why I provided the OP with a link to, and relevant information from VM's own official T's & C's with regard to cancellation within their "cooling off" period, and not just posted an opinion.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.
0 Kudos
JitteryPinger
Super solver
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Sololobo wrote:

But a contract has been entered into, and apparently activated.

To quote from the opening post,

I signed up for a VM contract and picked up the equipment for quick start. The next day I had to call VM to cancel - this is within the 14 day cooling off period and I haven’t even opened the box so haven’t used the services whatsoever.

So I would go ahead and say the service hasn't been made active yet and while the contract was never activated, the only thing that can be said is the service was terminated within 24 hours of the equipment reaching the customer.

Either way, I've had connection installed, tested and disconnected between 10-14 days and have had all charges wiped and activation's refunded.

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Fiona2304

Thanks for your post and sorry to hear about this charge 

Have you been able to get this sorted yet?

If not, I have sent you a private message to gain account access

Please ignore it if you dont require any assistance

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Fiona2304

Thanks for passing security 

I have had a look and can see you clearly cancelled with in the 14 days cooling off period

This did leave balance outstanding for some unknown reason

Don't worry about that as its not owing any more

I hope that helps put your mind at rest 

Gareth_L