cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help trying to cancel broadband

MadHatter52
Joining in

Help! Been trying to cancel my account every day for over a week now! I moved out of my mums flat and moved with partner who already has broadban last week. Mum getting broadband installed tomorrow (not virgin). Unfortunately ive tried and failed to cancel my account for 8 days now every single day! Today I almost got there twice and have been on phone with  four different departments they put me through to each time but twice today I was listened to and told to hold the line while cancellation and final bill was sorted out and both times I was hung up on after waiting on the line for final details! Cant believe they hung up on me twice today after 90mins waiting in queue once and 48mins 2nd time and altogether today 3 and half hours on phone! Tried online but was told to use whatsapp which I dont have!. What else can I do anyone please??? Mum getting her broadband installed tomorrow morning 3rd feb and I need mine cancelled and pay final bill as I'm not paying over what I owe till 3rd feb as im out of contract and tried constantly to cancel and they just hang up on me every time. Ive been hung up on 7times in 7 days and twice today! Need help asap!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@MadHatter52 wrote:

Help! Been trying to cancel my account every day for over a week now! <snip>

Do you mean that your minimum term ends on 3 Feb 2023?

If so, after that you move to a rolling 30 day contract unless you renew or cancel.

When you leave VM, you need to give 30 days notice.

Your report of being disconnected multiple times when trying to cancel is reported regularly on here.

Advice on here often suggests writing in by post to cancel (using a signed for delivery service) as being one of the more reliable methods to cancel without having to spend hours engaging with VM's broken systems. YMMV though as nothing with VM customer services is reliable or guaranteed.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@MadHatter52 wrote:

Help! Been trying to cancel my account every day for over a week now! <snip>

Do you mean that your minimum term ends on 3 Feb 2023?

If so, after that you move to a rolling 30 day contract unless you renew or cancel.

When you leave VM, you need to give 30 days notice.

Your report of being disconnected multiple times when trying to cancel is reported regularly on here.

Advice on here often suggests writing in by post to cancel (using a signed for delivery service) as being one of the more reliable methods to cancel without having to spend hours engaging with VM's broken systems. YMMV though as nothing with VM customer services is reliable or guaranteed.

jem101
Superstar

@MadHatter52 wrote:

Help! Been trying to cancel my account every day for over a week now! I moved out of my mums flat and moved with partner who already has broadban last week. Mum getting broadband installed tomorrow (not virgin). Unfortunately ive tried and failed to cancel my account for 8 days now every single day! Today I almost got there twice and have been on phone with  four different departments they put me through to each time but twice today I was listened to and told to hold the line while cancellation and final bill was sorted out and both times I was hung up on after waiting on the line for final details! Cant believe they hung up on me twice today after 90mins waiting in queue once and 48mins 2nd time and altogether today 3 and half hours on phone! Tried online but was told to use whatsapp which I dont have!. What else can I do anyone please??? Mum getting her broadband installed tomorrow morning 3rd feb and I need mine cancelled and pay final bill as I'm not paying over what I owe till 3rd feb as im out of contract and tried constantly to cancel and they just hang up on me every time. Ive been hung up on 7times in 7 days and twice today! Need help asap!

Oh dear, the usual tale of woe regarding problems with cancelling. So here's what you do, you write two letters to VM (yes, letters, how quaint but still, there are good legal reasons for doing so), to their Sunderland Office (details on their website somewhere). The first specifies in no uncertain terms that you wish to cancel, quote the account number, address etc. give a cancellation date as of 30 days plus two days from the date on the letter. Now the second letter is in the form of a formal complaint - in this you set out how you have been frustrated with the cancellation process, you demand that your cancellation be processed in a timely manner* and that you claim a reasonable compensation of £20 for the sheer inconvenience involved.

Now the likelihood is that this complaint will be treated with VM's usual diligence and be completely ignored - which is paradoxically good news for you, after eight weeks you can escalate it to the industry Ombudsman, but in the meantime, do not cancel any direct debits, yes it sticks in the craw to be paying for a service you aren't getting, but in the long term....

And when and if (no; when) this gets escalated, you request a complete refund of all excess payments plus compensation of £150 (I don't think is unreasonable) for the extra inconvenience etc.

On the other hand, it may not come to that, as possibly a member of the forum team (VM employees) will get to this thread and offer to resolve it without any unpleasantness. Oh and if any of you do, please spare us from the 'of course no support agent would deliberately put the phone down' rubbish - because you know, and I know, and everyone else on here knows, this is exactly what they do when the issue is ever so slightly problematic and they don't want to deal with it? No? And if you want to argue that is isn't the case, then please don't make me trawl through, and link to the many, many, many posts on here which report a similar experience* and no doubt you will be able to adequately explain every single one of them - won't you?

* of course VM, as a 'communication company', might well be using the world's least reliable and flaky telephony provision which they are not competent to rectify, manage and maintain - which would explain things; but not a good look either way!

ALF28
Super solver

this might be helpful-

Cancel Virgin Media 2023 | How to Leave Your Contract (cable.co.uk)

I see VM were again on bbc morning tv this week regarding problems moving house and cancelling contract and exit fees even if the new house is not connected.

With the impending cost rise in April, no doubt more people may be reviewing the broadband package costs and looking to switch or trying 5g broadband which is now rolled out.

Surely VM cancellations should be a quick procedure taking just a few minutes, not dragged out over days and requiring a written cancellation.

See

Broadband customer service: which provider is the best? (choose.co.uk)

Switching broadband provider is set to become even easier - Which? News

New UK broadband rules will make it easier to switch supplier | Broadband | The Guardian

Looks like the one day switch only applies to open reach broadband, not VM unfortunately, comes into force April 2023

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @MadHatter52 thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of the concerns you've raised here regarding attempted cancellation.

If this hasn't been sorted already for you, please allow me to send you a PM so I can look into this further for you.

Kindly expect the PM from me to arrive shortly, and respond directly when you can!
Many thanks

Tom_W

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi there @MadHatter52,

Tom is currently out of office so I've assigned this to myself to pick up.

I've dropped you a PM to discuss further.

Regards,

Kain