Menu
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Help for Upset Mum

Hi  I need to let off steam concerning aggressive sales calls to my 85 year old Mum who lives alone. Yesterday she received no less than ELEVEN sales calls the last being after 9pm .  My Mum is extremely hard of hearing and explained as best she could that she could not hear or understand the operator on four of those calls and that they would have to call when I was there to talk to. Mum said that the caller/callers were rude and aggressive and did not take any notice of what she was trying to explain to the point that she was in tears last night and asking me how to stop this intrusion .  I was at Mums at 7am this morning and within an hour I picked up two more calls that disconnected when I answered them. I would ask that if anything  can be done about this it is done quickly as Mum is already distressed enough with the impending  lockdown and I do not want her caused anymore anguish  Thanks in advance  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Help for Upset Mum

Sorry  The four calls that she did speak to the operator were all from Virgin Media sales  I am assuming the ones that failed to connect were also but may be wrong.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Are you able to access the 'My Virgin Media' account online for your mother? If so, you can remove all forms of marketing contact for VM which should stop the unwanted VM marketing calls.

However, given the volume of calls you are describing, I suspect that mixed in amongst some possible VM marketing calls are a load of spam/scam calls from criminal sources as well.

Consider setting up a calling screening/blocking device for your mother which will filter the calls for her and only allows through the ones from trusted sources.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If all those calls were Virginmedia then that’s harassment. 
I suspect many if not all were scammers as they hung up when they heard your voice.
Does your Mum have a call blocking phone? If so then you may be able to set so that callers have to press a number & announce who they are so that she/you can decide whether to answer it or not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Good afternoon Rifleman, 

Thank you for taking the time to post. I am sorry to hear that you and your mother has had this experience. 

Are you possibly able to provide us with the number that called? This way we are able to let you know if they are VM sales numbers or spam calls, we will then be able to provide appropriate advise biased on this. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Guys  Thanks for the helpful replies    Mum hasnt got the numbers but some were with no number displayed and the two this morning were from Romford and Liverpool as I made a note of the area code   I am still concerned that at least four of the calls were from what were supposedly from Virgin and she says that they mentioned mobile contracts from what she managed to hear  I appreciate your help with this   

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for letting me know. 

Are you able to pass DPA on your mums behalf?  I can look into the account and see if we are aware of any calls being made? 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zak If you let me know what info you require I can see if I can get it from Mum tomorrow Thanks so much for your time with this
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Rising star
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@rifleman wrote:

Hi Guys  Thanks for the helpful replies    Mum hasnt got the numbers but some were with no number displayed and the two this morning were from Romford and Liverpool as I made a note of the area code   I am still concerned that at least four of the calls were from what were supposedly from Virgin and she says that they mentioned mobile contracts from what she managed to hear  I appreciate your help with this   

The fake and missing caller IDs, and the volume of calls, suggest that these are mainly scam calls.

Would suggest you:

1) Sign into your mum's 'My Virgin Media' and remove all marketing contact so she won't have to deal with legitimate VM marketing calls

2) Sign up her number(s) with the Telephone Preference Service (if not on it already) which should cut out other legitimate marketing calls from other companies

3) If your mum currently uses a cordless phone, have a look at this post which describes some of the in-built features which can offer very basic screening of calls for some models of phone

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Home-Phone/High-number-of-nuisance-scam-calls/m-p/4451594#M1412...

4) Look at getting a call-screening phone or a call-screening device for your mum. I have used a trueCall call device for the last few months and it has eliminated all the nuisance calls. You can read how it works by downloading the blocker manual here

https://www.truecall.co.uk/category-s/126.htm

Used in conjunction with their 'internet control panel', you can view calls in/out from her line and can configure it so that only wanted calls get through and cause her phone to ring. They also offer a package 'trueCall Care' which combines these features for older family members. Also look at CPR Call Blocker which does similar as well as phone ranges from Panasonic, BT and Siemens. Phones which only block individual numbers though are of minimal use since the caller IDs for the scam calls are fake and change for each new call.

The volume of these scam calls will, no doubt, only increase shortly due to the impending lockdown so I hope you are able to sort something out for her.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much goslow This is really useful information
0 Kudos