I am on a 12 month offer of £36 per month it is going up next month on 12th June to £52
I can't afford this and have tried to get help via the text service for 5+ days and never get through properly. I have a toddler and can't be on the phone all the time waiting for messages and then getting rerouted through the bot questions, it's so frustrating!
I don't know whether to just leave and cancel my DD? I'm on a 12 month contract which has now finished but I'm not sure whether I can change provider during lockdown?
Can anyone help me - how can I get in contact with a real person to discuss this?