Menu
icecandy
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Has anyone else had their account updated and extended without their consent?

I received an unsolicited call from a Virgin Media sales rep a few weeks ago. He started to tell me about possible upgrades I could do as my contract will expire in November. I didn't understand everything he was saying because he had a strong accent. I asked him a specific question about whether a channel was included in the package he was talking about and he couldn't answer the question. So I ended the call and thought that was the end of it.

A day or two later I got an auto generated email saying my account had been upgraded and extended to a new 18 month contract. I did not ask for this and in no way consented to this. It seems that Virgin's sales reps are way too eager and probably work on commission. The sales rep knowingly changed my account to get the sale even though I had given no consent or authority for him to do this. The facts will be obvious if anyone cares to listen to the log of the call. I have heard similar stories from friends and relatives of the way Virgin seem to cheat people like this.

I have complained online through a form on the website but have had no reply after more than 3 weeks. If you can't get through to someone to complain what can I do? What course for redress do I have? What is the best way to complain, without having to hang on on a telephone call for hours?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Has anyone else had their account updated and extended without their consent?

you also need to cancel the upgrade in the 14day cooling off period otherwise you'll be stuck in the 18 month contract
0 Kudos
David356
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Has anyone else had their account updated and extended without their consent?

I had my package changed without even been contacted! My package was changed to include an additional channel (Baby TV - I don't have a baby so have no desire to have this channel). There is an additional charge for this. 

This was done on 1st December and I received an email telling me that this was done. I immediately raised a complaint about this and asked for a refund but have not had a reply yet.

Did you receive a reply about your account update?

0 Kudos
icecandy
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's nearly 5 months since my account was extended. Have had at least 4 phone conversations with Virgin over the last few months. Every time they say my account has to be investigated and a manager will ring me back. No-one ever does. The last time the lady even said "I promise" to call you back within an hour no matter what! yes..you guessed it...she didn't call back either.

The Virgin sales guy who did this had put down a fictitious name as someone who agreed to the contract - no one I have ever heard of.

This misselling has to be illegal. And one of the Virgin agents told me that to agree a contract they have to read out the sales terms and conditions and I have to verbally agree which clearly did not happen. It will be obvious if they just listen to the audio recording of the original conversation.

Anyway I've now written to the Daily Telegraph consumer complaints department and hope that some bad publicity will get them to get a move on.

I cancelled my direct debit so they aren't getting any more money from me. But they are now telling me to pay up or else I might get marked with bad credit. God you can't win.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

call backs never happen its a way to get your off the phone
0 Kudos
David356
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have just now realised that this was something my wife did by mistake one night when she got up during the night. In her confusion she was fiddling around with the remote without being fully aware of what she was doing and subscribed to this channel by mistake. We are locked into this for 30 days and then can unsubscribe.
I may have to consider implementing some parental controls to avoid this happening again as, unfortunately, my wife's confusion is getting worse.
0 Kudos
newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi David356,

If I were you I would contact regrades, either by telephone or text message and place the cancellation request for the channel now. You may have to give 30 days notice to cancel the channel, so best doing it today, rather than waiting for the 30th day and then being charged for an additional 30 days 

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos